When Bush whacks Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics' started by taodr, Aug 16, 2002.

1. taodr

taodr

Here we go. Bush has come out swinging today he's gonna shit all over Iraq regardless of what Mandela or any other country has to say.

#11     Sep 4, 2002
  2. my prediction:

around sept. 11, there will be "one year ago" videos all over the news. we'll see the videos of the planes being flown into the buildings and all the tragedy that followed. america will be fired up once again.

shortly after, you will see news flashes on tv that iraq is under attack. within a few minutes, president bush will be on tv revealing the evidence he has.

my bet is that there is conclusive evidence linking iraq to the events of sept. 11. once america hears that, there will be overwhelming support by the american people for attacking iraq.

other possible reasons/evidence:

-he is developing weapons of mass destruction

-he is violating his previous agreements to let inspectors in

-previously tried to assassinate the older president bush

#12     Sep 4, 2002
  3. I agree with you all a bit, but the realities are these-

Iraq lacks the funding and intellectual resources to develop significant mass destruction weapons.

Seriously.

This is out of the mouths of the inspectors that went to Iraq and looked - NOT the opinions of the American puppet government, who are most likely focusing on Iraq to shift attention away from their own shortcomings.

Not to say they don't have some, but the reality is that these things are quite expensive (it would cost them millions of dollars to produce one ounce of weapons grade uranium) and currently, iraq lacks the resources to do this. i would assume that that's part of the reason we limit how much oil they can sell, so they will lack the cash to afford such things. (The obvious risk is Iraq bribing the russians to sell black market stuff).

Plus, the more Iraq spends on uranium, the less Saddam has to spend on $2 whores...

There are considerably more effective ways to reform Iraq - and yes, they would take some time - but the whole Gulf War didn't change one GODDAMN THING about Iraq - so you can't argue that pummeling those bastards will change anything either.

The world is getting more and more fed up with extremist religions run by corrupt, insane morons.

Iraq would be better off paying their TB-infected people to run to the borders and spit at other countries.

#13     Sep 4, 2002
  4. i gotta disagree with you here. i highly doubt iraq doesn't have the financial resources to hurt us big time. it only takes one bomb smuggled into new york city.

why let this guy exist when he is such a risk to the world? a situation similar to what happened in "the sum of all fears" is a TOTAL POSSIBILITY.

FUCK SADDAM

#14     Sep 4, 2002
  5. I doubt there's much sympathy, domestic or global, for Saddam per se. If he were the only one affected, that is. It's the idea of dropping bombs on the 3 million children and women of Baghdad, then sending in US soldiers to maintain indefinite martial law that's more troublesome.

One thing to note is that, as far as I can tell, the US is still daily buying millions worth of oil from Iraq. NOW. Given the official line that Saddam has/is/will use any and all means to further his singular goal of destroying the US, it seems inconsistent, or at least odd, that the US is currently feeding him the funds to do so...

#15     Sep 4, 2002
  6. So you are saying that the GROUP NETWORK AL QUEDA has enough resources to create a great destruction(sept 11) but THE COUNTRY OF IRAQ does not have the ability to create a great destruction or mass destruction. hmmmmm...........i must have missed something somewhere.

jc

#16     Sep 4, 2002
  7. If we don't do it, nobody else will, and he will just get stronger over the years until he is able to launch an attack. All he needs is a couple of old russian nukes, which he could probably buy for a few days oil output if anybody would sell to him. He already proved that he has chemical weapons by using them on the Kurds. He has proved many times over that he is a cold blooded killer. It is obvious to all but the most extreme leftists that he is a direct threat to the middle east and an enemy of the U.S. and Israel. Also, I think the U.S. and even the Bush family have a moral responsibility to get rid of him, since the CIA helped him ( and Bush was head of the CIA ) during the IRAN/IRAQ war. I am not a war hawk in general, but I think that the first Gulf war was left unfinished and didn't really accomplish much except give our military a bit of real large scale battle experience. I think most people knew at the end of the first gulf war that there would be a second one, almost like at the end of a movie when they leave it open for a sequel.

#17     Sep 4, 2002
  8. We can pummel them til the end of time. I it probably won't make a difference. We have lost the propaganda war. Saddam has insulated his country, fed it a daily ration of "the people of the U.S. are genuinely evil". Until we find away to combat that opinion we're getting sucked into a nightmare. What we need to do is go to the world court get the "approval" to inspect for weapons then increase our inspectors by about 10,000 per day. Then we could tell the U.N you said 500 inspectors? Ohhh, we thought you said 500,000. by the way since were here we'll just go ahead and run the oil business for ya buddy. Don't worry about your people we'll feed and house them and give them medical treatment and ah, one last thing. Were going to blow your regime to smithereens during the process.

#18     Sep 4, 2002
  9. If we go to war with Iraq, it will be the beginning of a third World Conflict. You cannot attack IRAQ without thoroughly angering the entire arab populace. If Bush goes in there as Commander in Chief and does not consult congress to get a formal declaration of war, that will further complicate things.

International support will not be there because many places don't want this to happen -- including the former Soviet Union.

We have already gone past the point of diplomacy. The issue with Isreal and the West Banks will forever be a huge problem until the creation and formal recognition of a Palestinian State.

The United States must also lessen it's reliance on petroleum products (oil, gas, etc). This won't happen anytime soon and by the time it does happen, it will already be too late.

There is no solution to this problem -- too many issues have been neglected for far too long and the United States has meddled in too many foreign affairs. The sweet days of isolationism are long gone and now we are in a hole we can't seem to find a way out of.

aphie

#19     Sep 4, 2002
  10. Bryan Roberts

Bryan Roberts Guest

well a regime change isn't going to stop a smuggled bomb from getting into the US but it will definitely increase the likelyhood and the motivation needed to ignite one.

#20     Sep 5, 2002