When Are You Pro?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by ler, Sep 21, 2002.

1. ler

ler

What event is it that actually must happen before you are considered "pro"?

Submitting application paperwork to pro firm?

Pro firm sending your stuff to exchange?

Passing Series 7 exam?

Other?

I'd like to know when I should stop checking the "I am not a professional trader" box on applications.
    (Looking to avoid getting the cell between Kozlowski and Martha.)

2. If you work for any firm that engages in any type of service (i.e. trading, research, mutual fund, investment banking, etc...) you would be considered a professional.

But who wants to be a professional, it only means your fee's are higher, I know. You're right though, you don't want to get into trouble.

3. For regulatory purposes Im not sure but imo you are not a pro until you make your living at it.

4. I'd guess if you have an active license.

5. ddefina

ddefina

"Pro" fession

pro·fes·sion Pronunciation Key (pr-fshn)
    n.

An occupation or career: “One of the highest compliments a child can pay a parent is to choose his or her profession” (Joan Nathan).
    An occupation, such as law, medicine, or engineering, that requires considerable training and specialized study.
    The body of qualified persons in an occupation or field: members of the teaching profession.

6. I think if you have an active securities license and you are employed by an investment related firm you are a pro. The prop firm people are sort of a gray area, since in some ways they are pros and in some ways they are just trading for themselves.

7. I like the definition above.

8. Dustin

Dustin

Ditto.

You're not a pro until you live on the income from trading...whether it's retail or prop.

9. just hang around ET long enough...you'll probably feel convinced to go pro sooner or later...

10. ler

ler

Hmmm, maybe. I was looking for a legal answer to the question. Most of the replies have been philosophical or from Webster's.

#10     Sep 22, 2002