When are we going to wise up and call the health care industry the SCAM that it is

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by stock777, Nov 9, 2008.

1. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

Anything subsidized by the US gubmint eventually turns into a scam.

99% of Amerikans are fat, greedy pigs at the trough. Doctors, lawyers, Congress, bankers, insurance, Hedge Funds, et. al. Some more greedy, some more fat. Even when they're completely full they never stop pigging out at the trough.

#21     Nov 9, 2008
  2. It's not healthcare that is the scam. It's insurance of all kinds that is FRAUD.

Insurance companies pay out on average between 2% and 5% of premiums in the form of claims.

#22     Nov 9, 2008
  3. Collecting from the insurance company can be more stressful than an illness.

Personally, I think the health care industry is under attack from the left. They don't want it to work. They also have attacked the supplement industry by trying to regulate supplements and require prescriptions. So much for prevention through healthy living. So maybe the health care industry is a war zone really? What can account for the huge number of deaths by mistakes in hospitals than morale being royally screwed up? Or people that hate the industry they work in for idealogical reasons?

#23     Nov 9, 2008
  4. Sorry, but you've got to go one step further back in the food chain.

It's the trial lawyers.

Frivolous lawsuits (which the plaintiffs' lawyers never expect to reach court anyway) raises the costs for everyone. All the lawsuits (and defending them, or more often settling them) raises the costs for the insurance companies, which pass those costs on to the doctors, hospitals and ultimately the consumers.

Do you have any friends who are doctors? Ask them about all the unnecessary tests and procedures which are performed because of fear of being sued for malpractice. I have a good friend who is a radiologist, and he says at least half of the scans he reads have no real basis for being done, other than the doctors who request them do so in order to cover their ass should they ever be sued for "missing" something.

So add up all the unnecessary tests done to protect the doctors/hospitals against frivolous lawsuits, together with all the expenses of processing and settling such lawsuits, and you easily have at least a 30+% legal "tax" on our whole medical system.

And guess which constituency is the largest % of members of congress (and our new president)? Yes, lawyers.

And guess which group is the largest financial supporter of the Democratic party, which now controls both the legislative and executive branches of government? Yep, you got it.....the trial lawyers.

Think anything is going to change to lower the legal costs hidden in health care? Hell no. They won't kill the goose who lays the golden eggs.

#24     Nov 9, 2008
  5. Really? They keep 95%? Sounds like a serious case of bullshit to me. Where do you get your facts, the Obama campaign?

#25     Nov 9, 2008
  6. Another ETer pulling numbers out of their ass. If you put a zero behind the 5 to make it 50% you would still be WAY low.

#26     Nov 9, 2008
  7. We already have universal health care for anyone over 65 plus all the vets get it too.

Vets dont get have a lot of drugs that are available due to the cost. The nearest VA hospital is over 2 hours drive away so vets around me get to pay for their health care even though they are "covered" by the VA unless they want to make the two hour trip.

Yes, we will all have wonderful health care were the doctors will smile at us and make us feel sooo much better once the government takes over.

It will also be free and no one will have to pay for it because the health care santa will bring new supplies and pay for the doctors every year.

It will be impossible to run way way way over budget because we will have congress oversight and they will make sure everyone in their district is totally happy.

Nothing says efficiency and top notch service like congressional control after all.

#27     Nov 9, 2008
  8. As abhorrent as government based insurance might sound, I find the idea of a private entity who profits by denying me service and raises my rates when I get sick even worse.

There are plenty of models of successful government based health plans out there if you look past the fear-mongering coming out of interests that would lose from such a setup.

How about we split the difference and have government based catastrophic insurance so nobody has to go broke from an illness.

Then we let employers and insurance companies fill the remainder of the gap as a value added supplement.

#28     Nov 9, 2008
  9. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

If only there had been some adult supervision in the Bush admin.

we could have had approx.

Iraq war (no legit purpose) - $.5 - 1 Trillion

Bank (buddies) Bailout - $ 1 Trillion

Let's say $2 Trillion.

That would pretty much buy Universal Health Care for a hella long time. Approx $50k for each uninsured person in the US.

Now we got a sh*t sandwich and 40 million people with no healthcare and lots more with crap healthcare.

If that doesn't tell you who is in control of Amerika nothing will.

#29     Nov 9, 2008

10. Is there such a thing as dirty diet?

As for the "way to go",I am sure your DNA has nothing to do with what you might get.

#30     Nov 9, 2008