When are we going to wise up and call the health care industry the SCAM that it is

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by stock777, Nov 9, 2008.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

Can you name the company? I'm paying over $800/month for Family coverage. Yes, it's painful to write that check every time I turn around...

I'd love to find something that costs less, but isn't going to ding me by not paying for this, or that as the cheaper carriers seem to be so good at.

#11     Nov 9, 2008
  2. karol88

karol88

to me the health care industry is a SCAM. I refuse to pay health insurance. the money I saved over the years by not paying it is more than enough to cover any expenses I might have in the future (but I also don't have kids, if I did that would be a different story). I visit a doctor maybe once a year and it cost me far less than paying $300 a month for insurance...I also refuse to take most prescription drugs because they do more harm than good...not to mention the cost. You would be surprised how many illnesses you can avoid just by eating healthy & regular exercise.

#12     Nov 9, 2008
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

Yes, I have a Wife and three Sons, so have to carry the insurance. (two in high school football, and one in Juijitsu.)

If it weren't for them, I would put the $$$ in a muni-money market acount, and tap it if I have to for a medical visit.

And, YES, exercise and clean diet is absolutely the way to go!!

#13     Nov 9, 2008
  4. paj

paj

Yep. Right up to the point you are seriously injured in a car accident, diagnosed with cancer or some other life threatening illness. (God forbid)

Unless you are 300 years old, the money you've saved on premiums won't cover much when it comes to treating the above.

#14     Nov 9, 2008
  5. Same here. At some point I may spring for hospitalization with a large deductible.

#15     Nov 9, 2008
  6. Listen Mr Bleeding heart, why don't you look into it on your own time. Your kind is the reason we have the problem.

#16     Nov 9, 2008
  7. Hillary Rodham Clinton's dream of overhauling the country's health-care system as the steward of a new Senate subcommittee has reportedly flatlined.

The New York senator had made health-care reform the centerpiece of her presidential campaign. After bowing out of the race, Clinton pushed fellow Democratic Sen. Ted Kennedy, the chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, to create a special health subcommittee for her to head.

But the Massachusetts senator, who's battling brain cancer, has shot down that idea - all but dashing any hope Clinton had of pinning her legacy to universal coverage.

Michael Myers, Kennedy's staff director on the committee, ended any speculation by telling the trade publication Inside Health Policy that Clinton would not chair a subcommittee. Kennedy will instead hold health-care proceedings at the full committee level, Myers said.

"In the end, it's President Obama who's going to lead the effort for us," Myers told Inside Health Policy.

According to The Washington Post, Clinton had sought the subcommittee to grab the health-care policy reins away from Kennedy, a champion of reform.

Clinton senior adviser Philippe Reines told The Post the senator would assist however she could.

Clinton told Kennedy and Majority Leader Harry Reid "that she stands ready to help President-elect Obama in any and every way she can to enact comprehensive health-care reform, which she has sought for nearly two decades," Reines said.

Clinton discussed her future endeavors in a Time magazine interview this week, quashing speculation that she wanted a Cabinet-level job in the Obama administration or a Supreme Court seat.

"I'm interested in standing on the South Lawn of the White House and seeing President Obama signing into law quality, affordable health care for everybody and voting in a big majority for clean, renewable energy and smarter economic policies," Clinton told Time.

jfanelli@nypost.com

#17     Nov 9, 2008
  8. Acqua

Acqua

Step 0

Tell your fat aunt and lazy nephews to get their butts off the couch and stop watching TV/playing video games 24/7.

While at it, tell them to stop eating crap and replace at least a portion of the daily 2 liters of soda with water.

The system can better use the HUGE amount of resources wasted on heart related problems/diabetes/obesity that could be EASILY prevented.

AQ

#18     Nov 9, 2008
  9. karol88

karol88

now don't scare me ....most cancers can be prevented with a healthy lifestyle...it's proven, and believe me I try hard...
    BUT a car accident is a different story...
    right now I saved $200-300 a month over the last few years that I should have been paying health insurance, and thought it's enough to cover any future expenses...but I also have no idea how much these things really cost...stock777 mentioned hospitalization with a large deductible, I better look into it. Also, I'm not that old...I think by the time I'm 45 I will get insurance, it's much more difficult to avoid illnesses past this age.

#19     Nov 9, 2008
  10. clacy

clacy

There are lots of problems with the healthcare industry and there are no easy answers:

1- No caps on liability makes malpractice insurance a rediculous expense for physicians/hospitals

2- Illegals and uninsured drain hospitals, doctors and health systems

3- US consumers foot the bill for vitually all drugs, as most other countries have price controls. The problem is that if the US puts in price controls, now there is no incentive (globally) to invent new drug

4- FDA rules and regulations which are there to protect us, also have the unintened consequence of making it ultra expensive to bring any sort of drug/device to market

5- Many states have mandated things like mental health coverage, alchohol/drug dependency, chiropractic care, etc to be included in coverages, making it much more expensive for companies and individuals to provide insurance

6- Government regulations make most hospitals and physician practices much less productive than they need to be, as they spend much of their time doing paper work and meeting these regulations. HIPA was an example that cost physician practices $100,000+ to meet.

7- Consumers go to the doctor for every small ache and pain because they have a small co-pay. There has to be some pain felt (financially) when going to the doctor, to incentivise people to only go when neccessary

#20     Nov 9, 2008