Wheat Limit Up AGAIN (+60 cents)

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by newtrader8, Feb 10, 2008.

1. No, when it reaches limit up or down, there just isn't any trading going on, but the trading session is still active, it can go to limit and get off it during the session.

#21     Feb 10, 2008
  2. tr51

tr51

a great number of farmers put on their hedges when they commit cash sales to the grain companies.....no margin call to the farmers only lost opportunity costs.

#22     Feb 10, 2008
  3. I understand that farmers can commit all they grow to a co-op or otherwise,

but short futures is just that, you still have to meet the margins

#23     Feb 10, 2008
  4. A foward sale is just a cash position, basis trading. Most farmers sell in the cash market and hedge in the futures. Hence they would be long.

#24     Feb 10, 2008
  5. bt116

bt116

How long do they break for if there is a limit up?

Looks like at the end of feb, mgex is removing limits on the spot month altogether.

#25     Feb 10, 2008
  6. i think weat is on the LSE

DBA and RJA are a couple of etfs (ns) that can get you some exposure...not sure if there is a pure play other than derrivitaves....anyone?

#26     Feb 10, 2008
  7. #27     Feb 10, 2008
  8. cszulc

cszulc

There is no break, just no one selling (all bids at the limit up level tonight at $11.53). Still activity going on in May futures (currently up 45 cents, was at the limit for a little while before coming off).

#28     Feb 10, 2008

9. If and only if May closes limit up. We get more fun tomorrow as limits will be raised to +90 cents!!

Who knew wheat could be so fastinating.

#29     Feb 10, 2008
  10. cszulc

cszulc

I think we'll see a lot of buying by the locals to cover shorts tomorrow. Wheat is seeing a good amount of bids at the low of the day ($11.43), CBOT market not moving much, which always slows after 9 anyway.

#30     Feb 10, 2008