Wheat curve

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by TraDaToR, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Any hints as to what we might look into - for example, calendar spreads, butterflies, gamma scalping?

#11     Aug 5, 2012
  2. you do know old crop new crop, right?

#12     Aug 5, 2012
  3. Of course but those seasonal patterns should mostly be secondary this year in my opinion as the drought has overwhelmed everything. It is not new crop / old crop that has dragged the deferred months to these ridiculous heights. In fact the distinctness of the new crop is the very reason that it should *not* have been dragged up so far.

If anything the high prices are going to lead to a huge planting for next year.

Anyway you can trade against the month of your choice next year if you want to take out that factor, which is not a bad idea.

Of course wheat is a more international crop with Australian, Russian, and European supply so seasonality is indeed different from Corn.

#13     Aug 5, 2012
  4. TheBlackHand

TheBlackHand Guest

Well done brains!

Low relative to what? How are you quantifying 'low'.

Sometime in December is also meaningless. When you consider wheat to be low? 2 weeks after? 1 week before?

This has a funny smell about it....

Please....

#14     Aug 5, 2012
  5. The best way to make money in the markets is to buy low and sell high....You'll never lose that way

#15     Aug 5, 2012
  6. yes, that is what I was asking. When I quit trading, wheat corn and beans were just starting to be traded electronically. I never have figured out how you trade KC electronically. I trade with ib and never see it listed, but I see KC on the CME website, and if you go to KC website there is no info. That's why I said, not sure about Minneapolis (not that I ever traded it.)

#16     Aug 5, 2012
  7. kanellop

kanellop

Hello Again.

The Electronic Wheat Futures Contracts for Kansas City Board of Trade ( KCBT ) have in their front the Symbology KE.

The Electronic Wheat Futures Contracts for Minneapolis Grain Exchange ( MGEX ) have in their front the Symbology MWE.

Kind Regards,

George Kanellopoulos.

#17     Aug 5, 2012
  8. thanks George, nah, all we can get on ib is the KC index

who are you trading with?

#18     Aug 5, 2012
  9. kanellop

kanellop

Hello Again.

Basically,

i trade via R.J. O'BRIEN with the RJO Futures and

ThinkOrSwim.

The recent time period i do not feel so well from the Side of the Money Security.

Especially, after the Collapse of PFGBEST that i had a small Account.

Early tonight with my local time,

i meet with a very Good Friend of me for to discuss some things.

Two of them was relative with the current Grains Situation and for some Issues relative with Grains Delivery.

The recent time period i have see in the Internet some Comments for any possibly troubles in the Grains Delivery.

Exist chance some People or Companies to do not be in way to deliver Quantities of Grains that have promise.

We discuss for the Issue,

which will take that Danger if occurs that.

Here are maybe some Legal Issues which i do not know,

to what will happen if someone miss to deliver Quantities of Grains based in a Futures Contract/s that have promise.

Another thing that i tell him,

was relative with a New "Bang" from a NYSE Market Maker Company,

with the Name:

Knight Capital Group.

It is another big Story.

That Company lost 440 Million USD from ( As i have understand it ) wrong Orders.

Is a Company of the Era of Algo Trading.

That affect me a lot,

because i have in my mind from the past,

to use in the Future some Way of Algo Trading or with other Words,

Robotic Trading or Automated Trading for Grains Trading,

via the USA Brokerage Company with the Name Advantage Futures.

In that Issue i have not go forward yet,

because the current Grains Situation does not leave me to find additional time for to try a little and that Aspect.

I am a little dissapointed i can say after all these...

Kind Regards,

George Kanellopoulos.

#19     Aug 5, 2012
  10. Knight didn't lose any of your money or anybody elses. It was a proprietory program that bought and sold for their own account. I own mutual funds that trade through Knight, and I'm as good as gold, safe as milk. Wouldn't worry about it.

#20     Aug 5, 2012