What's your #trades & %return YTD?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by xtrhvydty, Apr 21, 2006.

What's your #trades & %return YTD?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2006.
  1. <10 trades this year, < 10% return this year

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. <10 trades, 10%-20% return

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. <10 trades, 20%+ return

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. 10-20 trades, < 10% return

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. 10-20 trades, 10%-20% return

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. 10-20 trades, 20%+ return

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. 50+ trades, <10% return

11 vote(s)
    12.0%
  8. 50+ trades, 10-20% return

8 vote(s)
    8.7%
  9. 50+ trades , 20%+ return

35 vote(s)
    38.0%
  10. I have doubled my money (please explain)

16 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. popseidious

"most powerful nation" .........Really? In what categories? Do you see any shortcomings from this most powerful nation? Is the future as bright as the past?

Buffet is a moron, pretty strong words for such an American icon of the investing community. Buffet is an investor that wants cash flow, he is not a directional trader that looks for daily wins. Warren is not a so called quant that makes money from arbs etc. We all have our favorite flavor, personally i think quants are stroking themselves into thinking math is the answer. Warren wants cash flow unencumbered with debt, then that cash flow is a tool to acquire more cash flow.

Buffet is no wizard, he is no egotistical quant, he is no moron either.

PS, this country is a far cry from a "most powerful nation". Soon the world will have 20 banana republic with the BOMB.

Here is something ironic for you to think about. When, not if, these smaller nations do indeed get the BOMB, do you think maybe, JUST MAYBE, then the boys and girls of the world will behave themselves in fear of destroying the whole world? Was not that the mantra of the cold war? Weapons as deterrent, rather than offense?.....................:) :eek: :cool:

#11     Apr 22, 2006
  2. Is paradoxical to see how overvalued is the king of value investing.

#12     Apr 22, 2006
  3. So you think little 3rd world countries should have nuclear weapons? Many people describe most 3rd world countries as a "living hell" or "hell on earth" What is to keep these countries from holding the rest of the world hostage? Fear of the end of the world? NO. They would make threats, and no one would give in. Everyone else would just threaten to shoot back, but to some of these countries those threats wouldn't be taken seriously, they very well may just start shooting in all directions. anti-Nuclear Proliferation is not unfounded.

#13     Apr 22, 2006
  4. Cheese

Cheese

I cannot see the point of ExtraHeavyDuty's poll.
    Percentage return on what?
    The amount of capital you deployed to invest in stocks?
    If trading futures markets, is it the capital you have paid into your accounts at brokers to cover margins? Besides that I have larger liquid capital in reserve. Never had to use it of course for extra margin cover.

Next there is the question of trading aims; mine is multiplying my gains. Jacking away my time for some percentage return would for me have no worthwhile purpose.
    :)

#14     Apr 22, 2006
  5. its nice to know I am doing well
    having a good yr ... builds my confidence
    and hopefully not over confidence
    but I have the knowledge that
    at anytime my edge could go away
    or I can take positions that do not
    work out for me if I exit at the wrong time

:p

#15     Apr 22, 2006
  6. this arguement has been repeated many times before on the PnL boards! Will it ever end????

I wonder what the point of the poll is......

#16     Apr 23, 2006
  7. andread

andread

I don't know the others, but as a beginner I'm curious to see what realistically is possible to achieve, maybe even consistently.
    That doesn't mean that I will do it, but it's nice to see that at least it's possible.

#17     Apr 23, 2006
  8. Heh, it's not really representative.
    After trading like an idiot for most of Q1, I found a good entry point into commodities and made almost all of my profits off 1 trade(I risked 5% of equity on that trade, about twice the average trade, don't think I bought a full portfolio of CRB Index calls :D)

#18     Apr 23, 2006
  9. jerryz

jerryz

to the people who say their return cannot be measured because they trade at a prop firm and they're using the prop firm's leverage:

what is your non-leveraged return?

$pnl / max buying power.

if you never hold overnight, then assume you would have 4:1 leverage if you were trading on your own. multiply your non-leveraged return by 4 and you have a pretty good approximate of your returns had you used your own money.

if you do hold overnight, then multiply by 2.

if you are making money every day, i give you much respect for that. however, if you look at people's blotters in the blotter thread and make these calculations, you will see that their "returns" are very low.

#19     Apr 23, 2006
  10. andread

andread

I know, 63 people are talking about their profit in the past 4 months, that's not really a lot of information.
    Still, nice to see someone is making money. Better to think about making 20 percent in four months than losing 100% in 2.
    Don't break my dreams :)

#20     Apr 23, 2006