What's Your Political Affiliation?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Gingrich for VP in 2004! :D

#22     Jan 8, 2004
  2. the only logical, rational choice for a trader / entrepreneur is libertarian/ objectivist. any other choice is self destructive.
    best,

surfer :)

#23     Jan 8, 2004
  3. Have I told you lately how much you rock, surf? You really do.

#24     Jan 8, 2004
  4. How short sighted you are. Our current system affords you the opportunity to progress as a trader.

You think a libertarian/objectivist form of government would give you an edge as a trader?

Horseshit.

It is the inequities and advantages to the wealthy and insiders of our system that allows anyone to make any real progress.

If we were on a level playing field where political influence could not be exerted by the wealthy, we would crumble as a society, as the people are not geared for decision making nor true responsibility.

You can speak in a pure theoretical manner, but in reality, libertarian/objectivist would not work any more than pure capitalism, pure communism, etc.

For any system to work in a democracy, it has to be centrist, flexible, and capable of compromise, as it is constantly balancing the strengths, weaknesses and flaws of human nature, and doing so according to the level of evolution and development of a society at any given time frame.

#25     Jan 8, 2004
  5. This time you have really outdone yourself.
    There is absolutely no need for me to rephrase this into any kind of straw man. Your words speak for themselves. Wow. I mean, really.... Wow.

#26     Jan 8, 2004
  6. The problem is the reality of the bell curve and its impact on human intelligence and human nature.

It always blows away any and all utopian political ideals for a society.

#27     Jan 8, 2004
  7. WTF? Have you been mainlining sodium pentathol this afternoon???

You're supposed to at least pretend support for egalitarianism as you secretly push for your aristocracy of pull...not admit your goal outright! Didn't you get the 'How to be a good Liberal' memo?

#28     Jan 8, 2004
  8. It is one thing to push for an ideal, another to be realistic and understand how lasting change really takes place. It comes through education, not an external form of government.

Surf, a capitalist, thinks a different system of government would enhance the fulfillment of his material greed better than our current system?

Apparently he doesn't know how to work the system that we already have.

Not being a capitalist, I put greater emphasis on the welfare of society if capitalism as practiced the way it is damages society.

This is not to say that if I were a capitalist, I wouldn't be working the system to my benefit.

Surf spoke from the platform of a trader and entrepreneur, not one who has a social conscience.

#29     Jan 8, 2004

9. Thank you Dr. Floyd Ferris.

Seriously ART, you sound just like an Ayn Rand novel villain. The resemblance is uncanny, really.

#30     Jan 8, 2004