What's Your Political Affiliation?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Centrist. Close enough.

#11     Jan 8, 2004
  2. I voted Centrist. I truly believe I am and that that's the best way to go, too. (Although, I'm not American, so maybe I don't count, according to Error.)

I'm more of a conservative on social issues and a 'liberal', ie, to the left, on economics. I know this gives guys like Rearden and Gekko nightmares, but relax guys, we're a rare breed.

I just don't see much reason to believe that complete freedom of choice on all matters would necessarily create productive results. In fact, I have a (very) hard time believing that anyone in America truly believes they don't have enough freedom. I think it's just the typical urge to rebel against 'authority' more than anything, that and pure self-interest and greed, that begets the typical libertarian.

Complete freedom's quite the illusion, anyway. You can never have complete freedom to, or even complete freedom from. (Freedom to spew hate speech and freedom from forced religion, for example.) I think America has oodles of both and that anyone that can't find a way to enjoy life with the current levels probably won't enjoy life no matter what.

#12     Jan 8, 2004
  3. Pabst

Pabst

I honestly think RS is right up the middle with ART just left of center. RS, you know I get emotional, it's a Chicago thing, may the loudest man win. Never any offense meant to you Bro! BUT compared to some of these commie's on ET, you're a John Bircher!:D

#13     Jan 8, 2004

4. that's backwards. it's not that the people should be passive and content because they have some freedoms -- but rather that the people have some freedoms because there are some who are constantly fighting.

#14     Jan 8, 2004
  5. Can you give me some examples Madison? From over the last ten or twenty years or so where there was some group that wanted to take away some of these freedoms but were thwarted by determined, freedom loving citizens? The way you put it certainly makes it sound like as though these freedoms are ever at risk and being threatened. I don't see it, but then I don't live there.

#15     Jan 8, 2004
  6. I am a druggie. According to my government, I'm a criminal & a terrorist supporter, merely because I enjoy a good narcotic high on a rather frequent basis. I'm not hurting anyone, except maybe myself- yet the fascists in power could easily lock me up for enjoying my victimless hobby.

<b> I do not have enough freedom </b>

BTW, Libertarian/Objectivist currently in the lead? I'm proud of you guys! Hope you all hold that thought when you reach the voting booths in November.

#16     Jan 8, 2004
  7. Voted conservative.:cool: Gotta stick with the party even though the scumya and cabal have screwed it up big time:(

Now how come Mavman and cronies haven't voted for neconcrap and them true evil ones in office?:confused: :confused:

All this talk about Georgie boy can do no wrong?:confused:

#17     Jan 8, 2004
  8. Pabst

Pabst

Don't think he's any conservative's utopian President.

#18     Jan 8, 2004
  9. :D you got that right!!.:D Utopian?? more like da jerk from hell:eek: Somehow I "feel" our next choices are between bad and worst. sheeeeshh.
    Both sides are playing us for suckers.:eek: Yal know the ole "good cop- bad cop" game.:cool:

#19     Jan 8, 2004
  10. isn't that analogous to asking for proof of how many crimes were prevented because of the threat of criminal penalties? that there is opposition is what protects the freedoms. do you seriously doubt government's historical tendency to tyranny? why would modern times be any different?

examples with respect to individuals may be abortion rights, confiscation/imminent domain, internet censorship, copyright/DMCA/TCPA, 1st/2nd Amendment rights, etc. take a look at the sites of the ACLU, EFF, NRA - these groups fight against government intrusion daily. did they thwart any govt. action in the last 20 years? I don't know, but the fact that they have to fight should tell you something.

maybe the most serious recent attempt is the patriot/victory acts/gitmo/total information awareness policies of bush - the opposition to that has been very vocal, but so far unsuccessful. but it at least hints that bush may have an interest in restricting individual freedoms, albeit under a novel pretense.

#20     Jan 8, 2004