What's your Nov drawdown?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by a529612, Nov 9, 2007.

Your Nov drawdown?

1. 1-5%

27 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. 5-10%

20 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. 10% or more

32 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Drawdown? My arse...

77 vote(s)
    49.4%
  1. Your ES comments are exactly why I trade the "accordion" trade management with the ES (dynamic position) and I trade fixed position size, entries, and stops on the ER2/NQ/DAX.

My discretionary trading account is up 3.6% for the month of November. My automated accounts are beating my discretionary accounts so far this month as usual.

#31     Nov 10, 2007
  2. This volatility requires larger than usual stops, but then that requires smaller than usual size (at least if one wants a steady equity curve!).

The way I see it, if I keep my stops the same for all market conditions, I'll get chopped (or should I say, STOPPED) to death on days like Friday (Thursday was not a walk in the park either, and neither wasthe previous Friday).

I'll admit it: I really DON'T make more on choppy and highly volatile times than I do on choppy and less volatile times. Contrary to all of the spam emails that flood my Yahoo account, smaller size is sometimes a good thing! :)

#32     Nov 10, 2007
  3. Volatility is the day traders dream. If you can not make the money in a volatile market then you should give up trading. I trade future S&P e-min and up over 120% this month and in July and August I went over 200% for each month. Also those 2 months were very volatile. Volatility will bring out more of your best signals. Best signals shows up less in lower volatile market. That is why many pro traders, like a volatile market better than a normal market.

#33     Nov 10, 2007
  4. Over 200% in July, over 200% in August, and over 120% so far this month......Great % gains, but they're meaningless without also mentioning your account size.

So how much are you trading with?

#34     Nov 10, 2007
  5. Ease up on him a bit Longhorns, he may be using Gilliam Curves after all you know....:D

#35     Nov 10, 2007

6. buy the ask ?
    i don't buy it

#36     Nov 10, 2007
  7. My blotter is on P/L

#37     Nov 10, 2007
  8. No one loses money on internet forums

#38     Nov 10, 2007
  9. I should trade that market. What're the maintenance margins?

#39     Nov 10, 2007
  10. Exactly.

Early November has been an almost exact replay of mid-August. Since we are talking ** Zero Sum Game **, a lot of people made windfall profits in August. The same people cleaned up last week.

If you lost money in August - you should have evolved enough to be making money in November.

#40     Nov 10, 2007