What's your Nov drawdown?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by a529612, Nov 9, 2007.

Your Nov drawdown?

1. 1-5%

27 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. 5-10%

20 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. 10% or more

32 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Drawdown? My arse...

77 vote(s)
    49.4%
  1. jnbadger

jnbadger

Absolutely.

The first 2 days of the month I ended up doing about 1.5x my avg vol per stock per day. The first day was because of nice volatility. Friday was because I was immediately thrown into a dead-fall with very large spikes on the bottom (GS in the first 5 minutes, and then again 20 minutes later), and had to maniacally fight my way out with a small loss.

This week I made money every day, but only because I was very cautious and forced myself to be very nimble and take quick profits on every trade.

Actually an OK month so far overall, But I feel like I need a nap an hour after the open.

#11     Nov 9, 2007
  2. SUCCESSFUL e-mini traders don't do drawdowns. Then again, not too many of those actually exist.

I would imagine a good number of e-mini traders went out of business the last few weeks, either from averaging down longs on the ES, NQ, or the Russell, or from averaging up shorts on the CL.

This was an exhausting week for me. I sat on the bench this afternoon.

#12     Nov 9, 2007
  3. I think Gilliam Curves could have made a difference for those who suffered drawdowns.

#13     Nov 9, 2007
  4. Give me volatility or give me death :D

The higher the VIX the better.

Anek

#14     Nov 9, 2007
  5. If you didnt make money this week you are, how you say, not good.

#15     Nov 9, 2007
  6. Why? Does he have a nice rack? lol.
    Had my best trading days the last week and a half. I'm so biased that I always do twcie as good when I short--almost like I only look for shorts onn t ES and ZG but thats what I made money on this last week.

2 % drawdown in October though but past that already (the loss) in November.

#16     Nov 9, 2007
    #17     Nov 9, 2007
  8. So far Novemeber rocks!!!

Great month. at this rate I will beat last month hands down.

Give me weeks like this all the time. I will ask for seconds...

#18     Nov 9, 2007
  9. opt789

opt789

Exactly.
    If you are an emini trader and have not made obscene money these last two weeks then it is time to look for a new profession.

#19     Nov 9, 2007
  10. <i>"If you didnt make money this week you are, how you say, not good."</i>

Well, we hear a lot of talk about all the money made in this board. Only thing is, we don't see many blotters in P&L thread ($RM excepted) to walk the talk.

Volatility is nice, I'll take that over dead markets any day. But... I got pounded out of two dozen shorts this week at any reasonable stop before markets actually tanked.

If you trade the ER or ES, you got pounded out of your stops (long or short) plenty of times. Period, end of story.

Instead of price action failing and falling from the same fib grids, clusters, trend lines, prior highs - lows, 2x tops and bottoms, pivot values, etc (stuff that all veterans see) like they do in normal markets, those same magnets got double, triple and quadruple thrusted.

Today I was short three times in the afternoon near highs before the watershed. I knew it was coming. There were half-dozen tech layers clustered right there, screaming short side. But the tape kept popping and popping and popping before it broke like we knew it would.

That's the difference between now and high volatility like July and August had. Tapes would break, coil sideways, break and coil, then break and collapse. These days they chop and chop and chop thru a wide sideways range between surge moves.

I bought this ES tape all the way from session lows to afternoon highs. +2pts, +4pts and then -2pts, -2pts, -2pts as it chopped downward before surging upward again. ER was similar but better than ES, NQ was much smoother than both. Individual stocks can be real hairy, especially limited volume ~ O/I issues.

Yes I made money. I can make money every day, any day. It was one helluva struggle, even knowing which way the tape was going every swing. Which direction next never surprises me... I can measure = see them all. It's the deep pullbacks thru stops that make the difference between -2pts or -3pts and +4pts to +8pts closed trade result.

If everyone just gutted this market like a fish, please share the results with us in P&L 2007 thread. Everyone's invited. I saw a tape that was radical in movement from points A to B to C to D. The turns were predictable, as usual. Holding the trade thru extreme whipsaw noise is another chore altogether.

Viva la volatility, but too much of a good thing is not always a great thing :)

#20     Nov 9, 2007