What's your market metaphor?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by daniel_m, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Now here's somethint interesting:

This is a chart that shows the relationship between the canadian lynx and the snowshoe hare for the last 160 years...

#31     Sep 10, 2003
  2. "If you feel like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest you need a check up from the neck up!"

Kinky Friedman

#32     Sep 10, 2003
  3. Guess who are the snowshoe hare in the market :D ?

#33     Sep 10, 2003
  4. #34     Sep 11, 2003
  5. ***

Candletrader, I walked a few pound off your quote;
    that way i dont have to go on a stinking diet!!!:D

My favorites include fish in a pond;
    and lynx snowshoe cycle chart, most all have camoflage patterns . :cool:

September starts the cool season,like polar bear illustration also ;
    William O Neill classic bull ''elephant''stands the test of time.

''Love is the greatest strength'' Hitman quote

#36     Sep 11, 2003
  6. clipperships traveling to do their functions: ocean's operation combined with the weather considerations.

It goes on and on through all the levels of detail.

#37     Sep 11, 2003
  7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

The market is a bag of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans.

#38     Sep 11, 2003
  8. [​IMG]

The market is a giant ogre.
    Your mission is to be stealthy enough to steal his gold.
    But if you get caught....SPLAT! :D
    You must be extremely sly and well prepared to take on an ogre.

peace

axeman

#39     Sep 11, 2003
  9. javaboy

javaboy

Surfing...something Ive never really done, but maybe some day....

The huge expanse of ocean does not give a shit whether your little ass is trying to stand up on a board just 6 ft by 2 ft (ok, it's a short board--this is my metaphor). Its just there. No armies arrayed against you, no emotion at all.

It doesnt care what happens to you: wipe out, long ride into the sand, something in between....And will always be there, so you will have plenty of time to learn, if you are patient enough....Gotta look inside yourself to find your own style, gotta keep practicing long hours to get good.

And on and on and on--you get the point.

And another metaphor. My wife asked me why, if I used to train traders of equities (used to trade sp 500s), ie, if I am such an "expert," then why would it take me a good while to become profitable w/ equities? Why cant I be profitable fm the git-go?

My metaphoric answer was: "you could teach an art history class w/ a little preparation (shes a humanities univ prof), right?"

"Yes."

"How long would it take, how much time of preparation and how much practice would it take to find your "own voice/style? as an artist? And how long would it take to become a really good artist, not just somebody who paints by numbers?"

She understood then.....

Ps. if it werent that I dont like the us v. them idea, I think the log rolling metphor is killer.

#40     Sep 11, 2003