What's your favorite trading quote of all time?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by a529612, Dec 14, 2006.

1. basis

basis

Great thread.

"Everyone gets what they want out of the market." -- Ed Seykota

#51     Dec 17, 2006
  2. That is a powerful quote..... So true.

#52     Dec 17, 2006
  3. Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first

Billy Bob Thornton... Bad Santa

#53     Dec 17, 2006
  4. <i>What can be tested must be tested.</i>
    Victor Niederhoffer

<i>The public must always believe absolutely, with the strongest conviction, the idea that will make them contribute the most to the market and one of the things the public has to do is sell low and buy high. </i>
    Victor Niederhoffer

<i>I have an aversion to all fixed systems and purportedly easy ways of making money in the market because the market learns and adapts to allow flexible, sagacious and strong decision makers to profit at the expense of the weak.</i>
    Victor Niederhoffer

<i>Markets are constantly in a state of uncertainty and flux and money is made by discounting the obvious and betting on the unexpected. </i>
    George Soros

<i>The financial markets generally are unpredictable. So that one has to have different scenarios... The idea that you can actually predict what's going to happen contradicts my way of looking at the market. </i>
    George Soros

<i>The worse a situation becomes the less it takes to turn it around, the bigger the upside. </i>
    George Soros

regards,

surfer

#54     Dec 17, 2006
  5. Greed...is good.

Gordon Gecko

#55     Dec 17, 2006
  6. volente_00

volente_00

#56     Dec 17, 2006
  7. "It's not just you and the market.
    It's just you."

-Mark Douglas

#57     Dec 18, 2006
  8. Chood

Chood

My reply below to Infolode's Livermore quote about the uncommon ability to stand pat on correct calls is meant to apply to me and any trader who wants to be successful. It wasn't meant to deride Infolode -- just the opposite, in fact. I completely agree with him about the worth of the quote.

#58     Dec 18, 2006
  9. Actually, Ivan Boesky said it first on May 18, 1986 in his commencement address at the University of California at Berkeley: "I think greed is healthy. You can be greedy and still feel good about yourself."

Of course, that was before he was arrested for insider trading. Too much of a good thing, I suppose.

http://eightiesclub.tripod.com/id316.htm

#59     Dec 18, 2006
  10. Oh, good. The after-life of the party has arrived.

#60     Dec 18, 2006