What's your favorite recreational drug?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, Nov 29, 2003.

1. That's correct, ie they cost about half at the pharmacy of the price from a dealer. This is a perfect example of how prohibition creates crime.

#31     Nov 30, 2003
  2. I'll say this much:

Drugs are what they are -- neither good or bad. Some people are taken in by them and become a slave to them. Other people use them to expand their experiences and then move on. Like everything in life, some people will take drugs and become a more rounded person from the experience, while others will succumb to the effects to such a degree as to constantly desire and chase their next high.

Looking back, I'm glad to have had the experiences I have had. I certainly wouldn't go back and change anything, but I've gotten all I'm going to get out of those experiences and now it is time to move on.

I will say this. There is nothing more humbling than comparing the range of emotion between a great trip on a psychedelic and a BAD trip on one.

I remember while growing up as a young teen, many of my friends were getting into drugs early. I would hear the term "bad trip" thrown around and associated it with the thought of, "oh, it must be like a bad experience -- like getting beat up or breaking up with a girl or something." My friend told me that the guy in his Iron Maiden poster jumped out and started chasing him with a hatchet around his bed. I thought that was actually kind of "cool" at the time, though -- certainly nothing very "bad" about that.

However, after finally experiencing one firsthand for myself, I realized just how deep the recesses of the mind go. I realized how many suppressed emotions, thoughts and feelings that each of us keep within ourselves -- and when you're on a psychedelic, you are left standing naked before yourself in the emotional and mental sense of the term.

#32     Nov 30, 2003
  3. I'm sorry! I meant 50 cents per milligram! But all the same anyhow. Good point about crime, though. The legal status of many drugs causes prices to be much higher due to the associated risks of dealing them. A higher cost translates to more crimes. However, legalization does not necessarily mean that more people will do drugs.

Legal Status (does not equal) Social Acceptance

For example, it is illegal to speed on the highway, yet everyone does it and thus it is very socially acceptable to do so.

Likewise, it is legal to drink at someone's funeral, yet nobody does that for respect of the person who has died -- it is not socially acceptable to drink alcohol in certain situations.

The more money and agents our government puts into fighting the "drug problem," the more they are actually driving UP crime -- especially in very urbanized areas. It is tantamount to fighting an inferno with a firetruck filled with gasoline instead of water. It is time to shut your pumps off and go home. Stop wasting taxpayers money so that you can drive up crime and increase urban violence. There is nothing more dangerous than having a PCP addict going through withdraw running through the city with a knife because he can't afford his next fix. Legalize everything and let him kill himself -- that is his prerogative anyhow. If he commits a crime because he is high, charge him for the crime. Don't charge him for being high because he "might" commit a crime. How many alcoholics "might" beat their wife because they are an angry drunk?

The only problem is that, for a politician, it is human nature to do what other people feel is "socially acceptable" rather than the "right thing."

I'm done my rant.

#33     Nov 30, 2003
  4. I agree. You get to a point where you've seen enough and there's just no reason to go further. At least that's true with psychadelics.

For me, it was about being young and having the balls to live my youth while I had the chance.
    It was all just one big experiance and letting the lines that defined where one aspect of my lifestyle ended and another began become totally blurred. That's what college meant to me and drugs were part and parcel of that goal.
    Drugs didn't interest me because of their secretive, isolated experiances and spiritual quests. They interested me as part of a lifestyle that included music, friends, college, youthful intellectual snobbery, counter-culture chic, girls and being known as "one of THOSE guys". I never wanted those things to be separate...but more like one giant melting pot of insanity...and I was the nerve center in the middle of it all.

Once I was out of that enviroment and had milked it for all it was worth, drugs no longer appealed to me. Because their "role" was no longer needed.
    The idea of actually doing them as part of my lifestyle now is quite depressing. Because the context would be so lonely and full of depressing escapism. It's not like back in the day when we did them just for the fuck of it - just to be wild kids who didn't give two shits about anything other than having a good time. I think now, the people around me who are doing them are trying to escape hated lives and personal misery. There's something markedly different about the context of NOW vs. THEN.

Sometimes I miss those days.

College was the best time of my life, and I'll be a very lucky man if even better days lie ahead. Not because of drugs but because of...well, just the whole experiance. It's a very small window of time where you can simultaneously live as the adult you think you'd like to be, while getting to be the kid you still are. And not having much of the responsibilities of either - other than just figuring it out as you go. Those were great times.

-[M]

#34     Nov 30, 2003
  5. IBIUBU

IBIUBU

Same drug as Percodan. If you feel that euphoric, I would be very careful if I were you to NEVER try a real opiate. You sound like a prime candidate for immediate addiction.

See above Longshot. Same drug as Percodan or Percocet (without the aspirin or tylenol). I KNOW you must have tried them at one time or another.

Another well informed opinion from the uninformed. One more time: Oxycontin and oxycodone are the same exact drug.

Absolutely true!

Well, as for myself, I always thought that the best of the pharmaceutical opiate class drugs was MS Contin, with Oxycontin a close second. But just yesterday someone gave me a new (at least new to me) drug called Avinza. Same high as Oxycontin, or MS Contin, or Percodan, or any of the others. Just a lot stronger, and lasted for around 20 hours.

I was so impressed I dug up this old thread to make mention of it. My bet is that this new drug becomes as infamous as Oxycontin very very soon. I got it from a friend who has a very "friendly" doctor here in town (Ft. Collins).

I was unable to trade all day Friday, having taken the pill late Thursday evening. I have yet to sleep. But I am about to.

Reardon Metal; maybe this is a good drug to ask a doctor for. Maybe you will get lucky and the doctor will not know exactly what it is. I know I got a lot of Lortab years ago by asking for it rather than asking for a more known drug.

Like in the days of Qualuudes. Ask for Quaaludes, and the doctors knew you just wanted to get high. Ask for Sopors, and you had a slightly better chance. Ask for Parest 400, and for a while, many doctors had no clue that it was the same thing as a Quaalude. Just 400 mg, instead of 300. "Doc, I have been having trouble sleeping. I had a prescription for something called Parest 400, and it worked great". Doctor wrote a script without looking the drug up. Worked for a while. There were other brand names too, including Cateudil, Isonox, Motolon, Normi-Nox, Optimil, Revonal, Somnafac, and Sovinal. However I never heard of any of these until tonight when I did a Google search to be sure I spelled Parest correctly. Had I known of these other brands, I am sure I could have conned more doctors (assuming these were available in the US. Without the vast resources of the internet, I guess there was no way to know back then). Mandrax was a brand that was manufactured in Latin America. Same as Quaaludes. But readily available on the street here in the US.

Good luck. Where there is a will, there is a way.

As a disclaimer: I took that pill last nite, and it was the first time I took any illegal drug in a very long time (excluding weed, and even then, I can make an ounce last a year). But there were times in my life that drugs had a hold of me. I cannot think of a drug I have not tried. There may not be any.

I know the upside of drugs and the downside. We all do. They provide a temporary high, and can provide a permanent low. I have seen many people lose virtually everything because of their drug habits. Jobs easily. Family, money, self respect, everything.

I would have to say that the very worst drug is cocaine. Bad high, makes you want more just to feel "level". Expensive, addictive (more psychologically than physiologically, but it makes no difference. Addiction is addiction). Crack cocaine is just a far more dangerous and far more addictive version of the same drug.

Opiates are physically as well as psychologically addictive.

Weed has no addictive qualities I am aware of. Why it is still illegal I cannot imagine. Twenty five or so years ago I would have bet anything it would be legalized long before now.

The drug laws are backwards. Alchohol seems to be a far more dangerous drug than marijuana. Prohibition did not work. Now the prohibition against pot has made (possibly) the majority of Americans under the age of 60 criminals at one time in their lives.

Time for this country got NORML

I.

#35     Mar 27, 2004
  6. Great post IBIUBU!

Do we know you by a different name here? (If you PM me, I can keep a secret :cool: )

I agree with most everything you've said. FYI Avinza is really nothing new...it's just Morphine with a time release mechanism.

http://www.ligand.com/pdf/AVINZAPIRev0203.pdf

mmmm....morphine. :p

Morphine is of course the best alkaloid of the opium poppy- the other two big ones being codeine and thebaine.

As for blow being so horribly addictive, I think that really varies from person to person. I always keep a good bag of blow* handy at home (very useful for slut/panty separation procedures) ...but I go months without feeling like using any. Stimulants never really got me excited like opiates can. Each to his own, I suppose.
    BTW...anybody who likes money and has/can get opiates should still feel free to PM me.

*Note to police state narcs-everything written here is fiction. Go fight some real crimes, you assholes.

#36     Mar 27, 2004
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

Krypi.....:p There is no substitute....

#37     Mar 27, 2004
  8. The best coctail is mescalin and pure tar opium. Nothing else compares.

#38     Mar 27, 2004
  9. That would make a great billboard. Center field wall Pro Player Stadium!

EC, you should work for an ad agency writing slogans:)

Peace,
    :)RS

#39     Mar 31, 2004
  10. Mecro

Mecro

Agreed,

Cause no one else will fuck them.

#40     Mar 31, 2004