What's Your Edge? (For Equity Traders)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by birdman, May 30, 2004.

1. newbunch

newbunch

"Tape reading was an important part of the game; so was beginning at the right time; so was sticking to your position. But my greatest discovery was that a man must study general conditions, to size them so as to be able to anticipate probabilities." Reminiscences of a Stock Operator

#21     Jun 1, 2004
  2. Capital Edge – Use of Firm’s Capital· Even the best strategy won't be profitable without adequate capital

Market Access Edge – True Market Access via Exchange membership or licensing ·

Timing Edge – Proper equipment to go straight to the exchange trading floor·

Information Edge – Other Traders & News ·

Education Edge – Continuing education is mandatory, the market will not stay put.·

Don

#22     Jun 1, 2004
  3. ...I have recently been on the receiving end of a ration of shit which I think IS my wife posting!

#23     Jun 1, 2004
  4. the ability to adapt

#24     Jun 1, 2004
  5. agreed. Also, patience is key.
    Practical example: wait for the set-up, but buy the move. Quite often it is easy to jump in at the first sign of a change of trend, then it quickly reverses on you.
    While the set-up was in fact good, it is often prudent to wait for the actual move or follow though before entering.

#25     Jun 1, 2004
  6. JohnK

JohnK

Well, two things are for sure:
    1. It's not me!
    2. Now that you posted THAT, you are in big trouble :)

#26     Jun 1, 2004
  7. EricP

EricP

Several things come to mind for me:

1) Speed (from automation)
    2) Consistency/Discipline (from automation)
    3) Very low tranaction costs (due to high volume)
    4) Diversification (due to trading 100+ stocks and futures , no huge risk in any single trade)

-Eric

#27     Jun 1, 2004
  8. fokker

fokker

I've been doing this and made some nice $$$$$ in 2004.

#28     Jun 2, 2004