Whats your definition of overtrading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ER9, Oct 24, 2005.

1. overtrading is when I make too much money in too short a time period.

#11     Oct 25, 2005
  2. Well, perhaps my opening statement was too vague. Obviously Lescor and Gnome have a valid argument as well. I was going to preface my comments with a caveat similar to what Lescor stated.

I think it is fair to say that one must evaluate overtrading on a case by case basis. A high frequency strategy is entirely different than a more traditional system with fewer trades and larger winners to losers per se. Therefore, the author should provide more information with regards to his/her strategy for others to work from.

#12     Oct 25, 2005
  3. That's not overtrading, that's called stupid trading.

#13     Oct 25, 2005
  4. afternoon day trading can kill you

#14     Oct 25, 2005
  5. Wether you're getting killed or not has nothing to do with AM or PM, but with your skills as a trader.
    An idiot will will always get killed, even in an easy market.
    And a brilliant trader will always survive.

#15     Oct 25, 2005
  6. yes your right some people trade the afternoon like the morning or trade a choppy day like a trending day

#16     Oct 25, 2005
  7. ER9

ER9

lol....I hate those "phantom trades" I swear my setup was there when i traded it but when i go back to look for it after hours because it ate me alive i can never find it.

#17     Oct 25, 2005
  8. lescor wrote:

It's none of those things. Some strategies are meant to have high capital turnover and to trade very frequently. High frequency trading will result in a large % of profits going to commissions, but that may be by design.

Overtrading is trading just for the sake of trading, not when you have a set up that meets your plan. If you don't have a clear setup, but you enter because you think it still looks ok, or you are bored, you have overtraded, even if that was your only trade of the day.

.....................................................................................

Good post

#18     Oct 25, 2005
  9. swcom

swcom

Nice!
    I get phantom fills sometimes, no kidding. My account balance shows me at a loss, but the PnL shows me at a win. So, exit, reboot, cross fingers, and . . . damn, another loss!

#19     Oct 25, 2005
  10. ER9

ER9

Appreciate your response. I wasn't worried so much about my own situation as much as i was in understanding what overtrading really means.

I really havn't given it much though until recentlly and this thread has given me a much better understanding of the different angles everyone sees it from and to be aware of. Wasn't expecting that.

#20     Oct 25, 2005