What's wrong with the US?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jonbig04, May 22, 2009.

1. The problem is half the people don't pay income taxes. It is polarizing because 90% of those 50% are Democrats.

So the Dems stick the rest with the taxes while they get all the government cheese.

Class warfare at its finest.

#11     May 22, 2009
  2. We are not a democracy. We were founded as Republic because they knew pure democracy would never work. It will never work because eventually half the people will vote to get hand outs as is what has happened here.

Its amazing how ignorant people (not directed at you) are about the intended character the government was to have.

John

#12     May 22, 2009
  3. Why don't we just go back to what the government was intented to be?

#13     May 22, 2009

4. Excerpt from a speech given to the "Jubilee of the Pole Bearers"(forerunner of the NAACP) on July 5,1875.

The speech was given by Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest, the greatest American calvaryman to ever live.

Quote: "I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself, I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. Where I can serve you I will do so.

We have but one flag, one country, let us stand together.

We may differ in color but not in sentiment."

#14     May 22, 2009
  5. Tom B

Tom B

No offence taken. I know we are Republic (a form of democracy). I should have worded my question better. I think a Republic is much better than other forms of democracy.

#15     May 22, 2009
  6. Thats interesting given the fact that Nathan Bedford Forrest thought blacks were inferior in all ways and went on to become the first grand master (or whatever its called ) of the KKK.

#16     May 22, 2009
  7. Humpy

Humpy

The knee-jerk reaction is to look back in time. I suggest you look forward.
    Modern problems probably need modern solutions.

#17     May 22, 2009
  8. I was waiting for that. Check your history on the beginnings of the organization. I do believe it had a resurgence in the early 1900's in Indiana, a Northern state so please spare us all the hypocrisy. Forrest was a slave trader before the war, obviously he saw the error of his ways. No question a great man regardless of what you may think.

Also, did you notice "one flag, one country"

Actually the whole point in reply to your comment.

#18     May 22, 2009
  9. We don't have any "real" problems now that didn't exist in 1776 because human needs are basic.

Our "modern problems" are due to the fucked up government and how it has strayed from its original charter.

The knee jerk reaction is to replace the constitution with what ever feels good during the current election cycle which is what we have been doing for at least the last 70 years.

#19     May 22, 2009
  10. The Civil War had to be fought, in part, to reign in the southerners, and keep them from practicing inbreeding, which was a real genetic threat to the country at the time.

The men who founded America were all quite educated and radical - they'd be known as social AND economic radicals today - separation of church and state? Totally rad. States' rights, and not homage to a central government? Totally rad. Anti-tax sentiment? Rad. The notion that the head of state should be elected, and not crowned? Rad.

So, aside from economics and the issue of slavery, which were part and parcel of the reason, another leg of the stool for the waging of the Civil War was the fear among the educated that the South was at real risk of becoming a land of inbred mental defects, sitting around having sex with their immediate family members, boiling possum on the front porch.

For those of you who know that I'm right, and not just joking around, you've obviously been exposed, willingly or unknowingly, to the parts of the deep south that still exist in roughly the same form as they did back then, and that serve as evidence that what I'm saying is absolutely true.

The metropolitan areas were forcibly civilized, but the backwoods live on as petri dishes of incest and mental retardation southern style.

#20     May 22, 2009