What's wrong with my new trading computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Runningbear, Jan 3, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

"quotes and specificiations"... what does that mean?

#41     Jan 14, 2008
  2. I wish to know the type of computers required from Trading point of view. As it is known there are many specifications of computers, some are gaming PCs, others are for scientific purposes while yet others are for daily purpose etc.

Since, Dell computers seems to have a large user base, I wish to know which Dell computer to buy for Trading purpose?

#42     Apr 22, 2008
  3. I am in the process of building a T3400. Certainly you don't want the base model but seems to be a good place to start and upgrade from there. This will be my first Dell as I have always been an HP fan so we'll see. This will be a trading only computer and will only see my platform/execution. I have another desktop and laptop for emails, internet, etc. I would highly recommend that to anyone as you do not want any miscellaneous crap on your trading computer. BTW my after solution vote on the OP's issue was heat as well...had the exact same problem last year in an HP.

#43     Apr 22, 2008
  4. bellman

bellman

hmmm, as plastic is basically an electrical insulator, seems this would actually increase static buildup, no???

Then again, it's probably not a big enough difference to worry about either way.

#44     Apr 22, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

If you want to run 3 or more monitors, you'd be safe with the Precision T3400 or better. If 1 or 2 monitors, either Vostro or Inspiron would be OK.

#45     Apr 22, 2008
  6. gnome

gnome

Unless you have needs which demand more power than normal, the T3400 base machine is more than enough.

#46     Apr 22, 2008
  7. Agreed.
    It is MORE than enough.

If anything, you will most likely have "bottlenecks" with your Internet feed, router, or trace-route back to where your broker's order/data server is before the T3400 becomes an issue.

#47     Apr 22, 2008
  8. Most electronic trading platforms run super "thin" and are not read/write dependent on your processor and hard-drive. To spend a ton of money on one of those so-called "trading computers" is a total waste of money.

Again, chances are that if you have a decent processor, at least 2 Gigs or memory, and Windows XP ( not Vista ) you will most likely have "bottlenecks" at your data-feed end . . . ie.) Broadband connection, router, location of the data-feed/broker server, etc.

#48     Apr 22, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

Then let me recommend eMachines. My T4010, Celey D has been running my trading apps for nearly 3 years without a hitch! :D

#49     Apr 22, 2008