What's wrong with my new trading computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Runningbear, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Probably heat. However, if you have a system and want to ship it to us to repair, please feel free to contact me.

#31     Jan 4, 2008
  2. I've just checked @ tradingcomputers.com web site and effectively most of those PCs are power horses... btw it's quite strange --maybe it's their industry secret! -- that the only 2 components you can't grasp anything about are the motherboards they use to build the PC around and the brand of the 700W PSU...

Usually Asus and DFI produce good motherboards for OCed PCs.

- Do you know which motherboard and PSU are used within your buddies PCs?

#32     Jan 6, 2008
  3. taodr

taodr

It sounds heat related. I have found this quite common with some latest power supply. They have wired it wherein you attach case fans and cpu fan to leads from power supply. That is the cpu fan is not connected to tab for cpu on motherboard. Consequently the motherboard reads fan as not working and reboots or shuts down. Please check this as it very common.

#33     Jan 6, 2008
  4. I had the same problem with a win 2000 machine.

John

#34     Jan 6, 2008
  5. Thanks for all the replies. I doubt its power supply related. The PSU is a 500 watt unit and the core 2 duo don't eat that much energy.

I'll remove the ram sticks one at a time to make sure its not the ram.

My CPU cooler is a Zalman 9700 Silent unit. I didn't think about this but maybe it's related to the unit not running fast enough.

I've also noticed that the fastest way to cause the computer to reboot is while running streaming video such as youtube videos.

Esignal doesn't seem to effect it.

Runningbear

#35     Jan 7, 2008
  6. The prize goes to all those that point pointed the problem as heat related. It turned out to be the CPU cooler intermitently cutting out, causing the heating problem. Let's just hope i haven't damaged my $400 CPU.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance,

Runningbear

#36     Jan 8, 2008
  7. abruzzo9

abruzzo9

the only major problems I have ever had with computers, and I've bought and built more than I care to count, are related to bad power supplies. Always, always, always buy the best power supply you can , if they go, they can fry everything else in your comp.

#37     Jan 8, 2008
  8. GTG

GTG

I'll add my vote for "heat related". Every time I've had this problem with a computer it had to do with over-heating.

#38     Jan 8, 2008
  9. I had this problem ( for the first time ) on my 4 year old Dell Dimension about a month ago.

I have a killer aftermarket PSU made by PCPower & Cooling. I tested it with one of their testers, and it was fine.

I then pulled-out my memory sticks of RAM and re-inserted them, because sometimes that can be the problem when they are not "locked-in" all the way. I did the same with my AGP video card, and PCI slot cards.

I also vacuumed all of the dust out of the case.

Closed it all back up and everything was FINE!

:)

#39     Jan 9, 2008
  10. Am glad that your problem is solved Runningbear. However, do keep in mind the other suggestions as it can be any of them in the future.

There was a lot of talk about Dell Computers? Can someone tell me their quotes and specifications for trading point of view? Can you tell the sites where I can find these information?

#40     Jan 14, 2008