What's wrong with my new trading computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Runningbear, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

I feel better now as look around the room and see my three Dells that have been virtually problem free for many years. Thanks gnome.

#11     Jan 3, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

Yeah, lots of Dell bashers around. I've used them myself since about 2000, and they have been almost trouble free.

#12     Jan 3, 2008
  3. I had the same problem, but with a laptop. It turned out to be heat related, caused by a dust buildup. A few puffs of air every month or so has kept it problem free for the last couple of years.

#13     Jan 3, 2008
  4. just don't tell me .that you have aluminum Imac that keeps shutting down randomly i just sold my on ebay last week.

#14     Jan 3, 2008
  5. Banjo

Banjo

Dust bunnies can be big problem on desktops too. They buidl up in some of the intc style heat sinks and the fan can't pull them out. Especially if the box is on the floor.

#15     Jan 3, 2008
  6. mnx

mnx

i thought your earlier comment was a joke. I thought you had a lot of credibility until now... lol

I'll just pretend you didn't say that.

fyi, the trading office I worked at had all dells. every single machine in that office (well maybe not every, but at least 3/4's had its power supply and hdd fail). I couldn't believe it... I've heard similar horror stories, but then I know of several others who have had dozens of dells with no problems at all... go figure...

-mnx

#16     Jan 3, 2008
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

This is a NEW computer, and I don't think the OP's room is that dirty.... :)

#17     Jan 3, 2008
  8. Bob111

Bob111

yeah, i would start from visual inspection,memtest,CPU temp test and PSU change.buy one at the staples or best buy, try it, see if it solve the problem, then return back to store. same for memory:)

#18     Jan 3, 2008
  9. it's a heat prob or mem.. 98% chance

#19     Jan 3, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

I was thinking of such posts as I posted. How is it that some people have LOTS of failures and others not? Is it that Dell is basically CRAP, but some people get lucky units? And someone like me who's had about a dozen Dells, and they've ALL been the lucky ones? Maybe but doesn't seem most likely.

Maybe those who have lots of failures have something about their environment which induces failure... ??

I don't think of Dells as the "best in the business", but they are average, well priced and have been reliable for me... plenty enough for a trading rig.

#20     Jan 3, 2008