What's wrong with my new trading computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Runningbear, Jan 3, 2008.

1. I recently had a new intel core duo machine built using high quality parts. However several times a day the machine simply reboots itself. I'm assuming that either the motherboard or memory is faulty.

I have heard that this can be related to voltage problems on the MB.

Is their any way I test my machine to determine which is the problem. I don't want to spend a fortune on diagnostic software. Is their anything available for free that i can run to help me isolate the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Runningbear

2. Jachyra

Jachyra

First thing I'd want to do is rule out a possible issue with my power supply. Make sure you've got a good one that produces more than what you're drawing. A lot of computer builders tend to skimp in this area sometimes.

3. mekas

mekas

Memtest86. Free. Link

4. spontaneous rebooting can also be heat related. your motherboard manufacturer should have a utility you can download on their website to monitor the cpu temperature. (like Asusprobe if your motherboard is a asus) Your core 2 duo should not exceed 65-70 degrees Celsius under load. on most motherboards, the thermal protection will kick in at around 80-90 degrees and will reboot the machine if it is overheating. if it is the case, your cpu cooler is either defective (not spinning fast enough) or it was badly installed (not tightened correctly on the motherboard / loose / too much thermal compound was used)

Otherwise it might be the power supply, or the ram.

testing the ram is simple if you have multiple stick of ram in the machine (which you should have if you want to get the dual channel feature). assuming you have 2 stick of ram, take one out and see how the computer behaves with only one stick of ram. If it stops rebooting, you have found your culprit. else, put back the ram stick, take the other one out, and repeat. this will clear the ram issue quickly.

softwares like asusprobe and motherboard monitor allows you to monitor the power supply voltages, if the 12V, 5V and 3.3V rails remain within 3-4% of their nominal values, your power supply is fine, if it fluctuates too much, its faulty.

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

If using Windows, don't use the Stand By option. For some reasons it overheated my CPU, although otherwise I had no problem with my computer....

6. Reformat and rule out software

7. I'm no IT expert so take this for what it's worth but when I had a similar problem it turned out to be leaking capacitors on the motherboard, a universal known problem and easy enough to identify in a few minutes with a visual inspection, perhaps worth eliminating first before other more time consuming options, maybe?

One of the symptoms: System randomly and/or constantly reboots itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

8. rule out virus as well

9. gnome

gnome

Just couldn't buy a Dell, could you?

10. Banjo

Banjo

LOL Gnome.
    http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Try this to see if you can isolate a hardware/heat problem but the problem should be the builders , not yours. Gnome is right, unless you have some absolute need for customization of a machine just buy a Dell /HP.

#10     Jan 3, 2008