What's Wrong with Canada?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by shortie, May 25, 2011.

Does Canada Have Bright Future?

1. Absolutely

64 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. Maybe

14 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. No

11 vote(s)
    12.4%
  1. Some differences in Canada from the mid 90's to now:

1. Canada was highly indebted at that time, and spent a lot of money on debt servicing. That is no longer the case.

2. Higher resource prices and increased resource extraction.

3. More foreign investment.

4. Lower tax rates.

5. Increased trade relations with countries other than the USA (namely China and the EU).

#11     May 25, 2011
  2. dtan1e

dtan1e

i've used the health care, love it, the best in the world

#12     May 25, 2011
  3. Actually last I saw the "Conservatives" wiped out 13 years of Canadian debt repayments with the deficit from a single budget. So no, the raw debt is as bad as it ever was.

Now they want tax cuts, and they want more spending on things like the military which means more debt.

#13     May 25, 2011
  4. I'm not sure where you've been, but there was a worldwide recession a couple of years ago. The Conservatives (at the insistance of the NDP and Liberals, by the way), spent large amounts of money on infrastructure during this time. Considering we have recovered all of the jobs we lost during the recession, it seems like it was a good strategy.

The actually want less spending. I can tell by your post that you don't pay much attention to Canadian politics. Military is one area where they do want to increase spending, however. And it's about time, considering Canada is one of the wealthiest nations yet spends diddly squat on military.

By the way, the Conservatives have pledged to erase the deficit by 2014 and won a majority election based on this promise. The Canadian public will hold them accountable and vote them out in four years if they don't deliver on this. So I'm pretty sure it's high on the priority list.

#14     May 25, 2011
  5. They've pledged to wipe out the deficit that they created. That sounds exactly like the Republicans. Three years from now Canada will still be mired in deficit, of course, because of all the promises they made. The military spending will be on F35's, in the age of drones, which have already doubled in cost, a highway joining Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk (how much will that be?), etc. etc. etc.

And no, I have no faith that voters in Ontario will hold anyone accountable.

#15     May 25, 2011
  6. The deficit they created to improve the staggering infrastructure deficit in this country during a global recession, yes.

You do know that the dollar figure surrounding the F35 purchase is over 30 years, right? You do know that the F35 is widely considered one of the most advanced fighter jets ever, right?

Your problem is that you want to compare the Republicans in the USA to the Conservatives in Canada. They are not comparable, with the exception of being right-of-center economically speaking.

By the way, "etc. etc. etc." to me is synonymous with "I have no other examples but I'm sure there's more because I don't like the Conservaties."

#16     May 25, 2011
  7. You don't think? Look at the polls for the upcoming provincial election in October. Voters in Ontario are holding the Liberal McGuinty accountable for his shitty governing job the past few years, and are ready and waiting to vote in the Conservative Hudak. That is accountability.

#17     May 25, 2011
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

We got 12 - 13 million, mostly Latino, illegal immigrants you can have. Just pay shipping and handling.
    And you'll be happy to know they breed like rabbits.

#18     May 25, 2011
  9. would you favor abortions for Hispanic women?

#19     May 25, 2011
  10. :D Na, they don't do well with our climate. I worked with Mexicans in my younger days during the summer holidays. They would come up here for seasonal work. I would be sweating buckets without a shirt on, and they would be wearing big flanel jackets with their toques on stand by. No joke.

Canada seems to attract more of the Chinese and Indian crowd.

#20     May 25, 2011