What’s wrong with buying and holding the SPX500?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by iamnewuser911, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I would think this is obvious.

#11     Nov 22, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  2. Turveyd

Turveyd

Never guaranteed, you could have 5 down years and take 10years to get back to BE.

Atleast DayTrading, your in control or atleast the illusion of control.

Will take up a loss less of your time though, so if your already rich and not trying to trade to get rich, then more time to spend the rich, if you poor then no money to spend, might aswell keep plodding on!!

#12     Nov 22, 2017
    Grantx likes this.
  3. zdreg

zdreg

you can do both. use the SPY in your account for intra-day margin to day trade.

#13     Nov 22, 2017
  4. Visaria

Visaria

Most of them are probably dead by now.

#14     Nov 22, 2017
  5. cvds16

cvds16

I remember that period from first hand and I am far from dead, statistically speaking :D

#15     Nov 22, 2017
  6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

That comment was not funny, but this is.

#16     Nov 22, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  7. ironchef

ironchef

You must be a professional money manager.

Us mom and pop retail investors/traders never have the luxury of putting a big chunk, lump sum into an index and sit on it for 30 years. The way we small guys invest is putting a small amount into it monthly and after 30 years, start taking it out. So, even for Japanese retail investors, they should be getting more than 60% of what they put in?

#17     Nov 22, 2017
  8. srinir

srinir

For a buy and hold investor, I don't think this is correct. Long term gains tax rate is still smaller than 1256 contract taxes. Not to mention hassle of quarterly roll and retail commission rates. SP500 etf can be had for 3 to 4 bp these days.

#18     Nov 22, 2017
  9. Visaria

Visaria

Buying futures makes sense if you are restricted from putting more money into the tax free retirement account.

#19     Nov 22, 2017
  10. What’s wrong with buying and holding the SPX500?"

This is ET; diversification and buying and holding makes me Cringe. -- Trade for actual money.
    Trade to make a killing in the shock market.

Don't run away from risk, embrace its potential rewards. Improve your skill to become a Jedi.

#20     Nov 22, 2017