what's with traderstudio and murray?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by sluggworth, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Clearly you own all three? Anyway, you're comparing two mature products with a complete, capable but immature, in terms of feature development, product. That said, Tradersstudio is already more than a match for Wealth Lab. That's no contest.

If you want to, and can afford to pay, $3000 for Trading Blox then great. TB is a slick and capable product, but not so slick and capable as to cost $2400 more than TS.

That was the equation I worked through and the answer was obvious. And having got to grips with the capabilities of the tradersstudio language (a gem) I am more than happy with the choice. I am really rather confident that TS will exceed Tradinblox for power and flexibility (sooner) and match it for slicknees (later). I also believe that the company are working on making the product more interoperable so that programmatic interfaces to/from other products can be created. I don't know the exact details but it suits my requirements rather well.

Believe me, Tradersstudio won't stay at $599 forever. I'm no salesman and am not gonna get into a blow-by-blow account of why TS is good vs another products. Just remember, I heartily recommend it.

Thx - D

#11     Jul 31, 2007
  2. alfobs

alfobs

So what if it won't stay at $599. Not big loss, really! It already costs more with hidden marketing tricks, like their "must have" add-ons. For instance if you are serious about developing trading systems, you would need an optimizer for sure. So be ready to pay more for it. I think with such attitude they will have even less chances to sell it after the price increase. No forum, no demo, and you, fundjunkie, sound like a relative or friend of Murray (I do not state that, just telling how you sound like). Anyone with TradersStudio, at last can you give some real facts, why it is so good, instead of saying that it is good?
    And I do not understand these claims about which software is mature and which is not. Users, try them out first, and then make you own conclusion regarding maturity of a product, do not just listen to somebody or read some reviews. It is not enough. And if a software costs more, it does not mean it is certainly better, but rather there were more expenses to release and promote it.
    You are aware that a trading system, which works for one people, not necessarily will work for others. Same rule should be applied to a trading software. What others like, it does not mean you will like it too.
    And, if you buy TradersStudio at your own risk and do not like it, can you return it for refund? I do not recall seeing something about return policy.
    I cannot constitute that TradersStudio is bad or good, real or fake, I just have no enough information to have a thought about it. Therefore I am here asking for some opinions.

#12     Jul 31, 2007
  3. I think your mind is made up already and you're trying to draw me into standing as an advocate against who you can hurl abuse. I will say a few more words but then leave you to pick a fight with someone else:

- Add-ons: Most are not essential, certainly not the systems. Some of the methodological add-ins are useful depending upon the trading methodology you wish to puruse.

- Optimizer: Tradersstudio has a built-in brute force and walk forward optimizer. I don't use the add-on genetic optimizer, don't need to.

- Pricing policy: Of course, that's a commercial issue for them. However, I don't get the impression that the price of TS is going through the roof any time soon, which you seem to imply. As core functionality increases then so will the price. That's what everyone does.

- Friend or relation to Murray: It seems that in your world kind words for a product point to some kind of incestuous relationship. I think you need to grow up - quickly.

In my experience Trading products generally don't develop that way. Yes, they're priced to recover costs - that's business. However, the products go through a life cycle during which features etc, hopefully, improve. Noone releases a product, fully complete, costing $3000-4000...the gestation period would be way too long, or staffing costs way too high. Following that logic a purchaser has to decide whether TS is mature enough to use. For me it is...for others maybe not.

I do agree that more expensive doesn't always mean better. That's why I don't own Trading Blox...along with the desire to work with a real language.

I simply told you that Traderstudio is a pretty solid product. It's down to you to determine whether it does what you want in the way that you want it.

BTW, it may be better if you don't reply to this post. By your tone you seem headed down the "infantile" path...

Thx - D

#13     Jul 31, 2007
  4. alfobs

alfobs

fundjunkie,

You did not understand my tone, unfortunately. I was disappointed that I could not find any additional information regarding the product which could help to make my mind. I really considered it as a good candidate, but a lack of info was a stopper for now. I hope while I am trying other two products, Murray and K would change their mind and offer a demo or open their forum. But it is up to them, of course.

By the way, I am replying just to thank you for giving some answers. I do not think it helped much for my decision, but it is better than nothing.

#14     Jul 31, 2007
  5. Murray visits these forums semi-regularly I believe. i think you should take your concerns up directly with him. In the meantime, if you want more guidance from people I think you should address some of the contradictions in your posts up to now.

Previously, you stated implicitly that the words of others cannot be trusted. What's the point in canvassing for opinion if other people's words can't be trusted? Also, you state the Tradersstudio people conduct marketing tricks. Surely, if you believe that then they should already be crossed off your list? But if advertising products and differentiating in an attempt to suit different users needs amounts to trickery then in reality very few companies products out there will pass that test.

I think you'd be much more likely to get constructive responses if you spelt out what exactly it is you're looking for from a backtest platform (Tradersstudio is much more a backtest platform than a charting pakage). Then people might be able to help you in terms of how Tradersstudio, or others, meets those needs.

If you want someone to tell you whether Tradersstudio does what it says on the tin then i can answer that with yes - though you disavvow listening to other people's words and so will ignore that. if want more specific input then you need to give more guidance and I'm sure other TS users will chip in.

Thx - D

#15     Jul 31, 2007
  6. Hi Fundjunkie,

Do you know how to get TS to allow exits (both stops & profit targets) on the same bar as the entry. I can't find anything in the documentation...

Thanks.

#16     Jul 31, 2007
  7. Are you referring to setting the exit criteria or actually exitting the trade? If it's just setting exit criteria, then you could use the ExitLong or ExitShort orders to designate your target and associate it with the name of the buy or sell order previously entered. You could also use ExitFirstDayLong which will exit a trade entered on the current day at the last bar (if your data resolution is intraday).

As you're entering your trade at the open, setting these stops will trigger on the same bar if the criteria are met. That's my understanding anyway. Test it out and troubleshoot your code to see what happens. Do you know how to do that?

In fact, you can edit these functions and make them do what you want. There's a slowly widening choice which are being added with each release. But there's nothing to stop you adapting and extending what's there for your own use.

Thx - D

p.s. What is it you're trying to do?

#17     Jul 31, 2007
  8. Thanks for replying Fundjunkie.

This is an intraday strategy, but the same issue would apply if it was daily.

What I am doing is setting a stop entry X cents above current bars high, and a target exit Y points above the high (Y > X) and a stop exit Z points below the high. I want to be able to exit as soon as either of these exit points is hit (even if it is the bar of entry).

Here's the pseudo code:

If condition1 then
    Buy("LEntry", 1, High+X, Stop, Day)
    ExitLong("Stop", "LEntry", 1, High+Y, GTC)
    ExitLong("Stop", "LEntry", 1, High-Z, GTC)
    End If

Am I doing something wrong? I've noticed that the exits are not executed if they occur on the same bar as the entry... and to make matters worse, many times the exits don't even happen on the next bar, and the TS seems to forget about the position and leaves it open indefinitely unless I do a forced exit.

I've used the debugger (great little feature), and I can see that the targets and stops are correctly set, but they are not executed if they are met on same bar as entry.

I hope I am making sense. BTW how do you edit the functions?

#18     Jul 31, 2007
  9. Your condition is being tested only once per bar. Therefore you can't exit on the same bar that you enter.

Thx - D

#19     Aug 1, 2007
  10. joeturbo

joeturbo

This is my first post on et.

I just wanted to log my experience with Traderstudio. I purchased Traderstudio about a year age and got a key for 2 computers. I used it primarily on my laptop and had some problems with the laptop changing its software configuration. To make a long story short after trying to get a third key for my laptop Trader studio just started to ignore me and my request. So i paid approx. $500.00 for one years use of their product. I could not recommend them to anyone.

Joet

#20     Aug 1, 2007