What's up with this "routine" threat from IB?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by samovar, Sep 26, 2017.

1. samovar

samovar

Got this from IB:

Dear Customer:

Interactive Brokers is conducting a routine review of your account and we need to ask you a few brief questions. This is not a marketing call or a solicitation. Please contact the Compliance Analyst between 8:30 AM and 5:30 PM CST. If this time is inconvenient for you, please send an email to tmatusz@interactivebrokers with a phone number and a time when you can be reached.

Failure to comply with this review may lead to the temporary suspension of your trading privileges.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    VPhantom likes this.
  2. Just be very careful with any process involving the exchange of sensitive information. Be vigilant ... it is nasty out there with all the hacks,etc.

3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Well, did you call or email them? I got a similar message from Citibank about a LLC account. I had to respond to 10 pages of questions or they would close my account.

Welcome to compliance.

VPhantom likes this.
  4. IB is annoying as hell when it comes to this crap

5. I had a similar thing happen. I got an email out of the blue from IB notifying me that I had to answer the Non-Professional Questionnaire within 5 days or I'd lose my data access.
    The only thing I could think of is my trading volume increased to 200+ trades/year from like 10.

6. Overnight

Overnight

My broker sends me this once per year. I do not consider it intrusive at all, and the process is painless. Not sure if this is the issue that is affecting the OP, but if so I consider it routine.

7. Actually I had already filled out the yearly non-pro questionnaire. This one was was a few months later.

8. KeLo

KeLo

I got that demand as well. I believe it originates with the exchanges which wish to squeeze some more income out of us.

9. I got an email exactly like that a couple years ago. Turns out, it was just because there was an email address mismatch in my account.

10. samovar

samovar

OK so I did call IB, and they had a question about the monthly stock units that my employer autosold and I had wired to IB. This got flagged as "deposits from a third party" and I was asked on the phone if the money in my account was mine, and to prove that the autosale came from my account with my employer's broker.

Probably some AML system being overly sensitive.

#10     Sep 26, 2017
    VPhantom, MoreLeverage and TraDaToR like this.