What's Up With the Elizabeth Smart Case?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Corso482, Mar 13, 2003.

1. #11     Mar 13, 2003
  2. Funny site... I did a search in Google and found a bunch of Christian groups that are working hard to try and shut it down.

Thanks for the link.

#12     Mar 13, 2003
  3. Pat Robertson (a truly misguided individual) was on Hannity & Colmes tonight. He said there is "no doubt" Elizabeth Smart was rescued by God through prayers. Colmes then asked him why there are so many other missing children whose prayers go unanswered. His reply, "I don't have the answer to that one." Well I do, it's all a bunch of bullshit.

#13     Mar 14, 2003
  4. My question is, why did the Elizabeth Smart case get so much media attention?? After all, children unfortunately go missing in this country every day.

Well, let's see. First off, it helps (ALOT!!) that Elizabeth is a pretty, young blonde caucasian girl. And that's she from a well to do family (a coincidence, Jon Benet Ramsey, also from a nice upper class white family? who also happened to be very photogenic). Imagine that.

When I see a poor minority from the inner city get the same amount of media coverage in a missing person case, then I'll be less cynical of the national news media. The media can do alot to help solve these cases, but Elizabeth Smart gets the royal treatment by Larry King, The Today Show, etc....while other pressing cases wouldn't get 1/1,000th of the same exposure.

#14     Mar 14, 2003
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

Why does it matter that it was or it wasnt an act of GOD?? the point is she is back with her family. Why always knocking what people believe in ( God )??? If you dont believe thats cool but why always knocking it....Im not very religious, but I see the non-believers knocking the believers more than the other way around, at least on this board....I wonder why that is??? A belief is just that a belief and it has impact on the people that choose to believe whether it be true or not, it impacts their life in a certain way..... peace

#15     Mar 14, 2003
  6. I admit I'm a religion basher; I can't help it. While I do respect people's opinions since they have a right to disagree with me, I also have a right to point out it's nonsense if I want to.

Here is the main reason I bash religion so much:

I hate how when someone is born, they are immediately baptised. Then they are sent to church every Sunday. The person is never given a chance to think freely. We can see first hand what can happen to a mind with the Elizabeth Smart case. As I've said in a previous post, she got brainwashed in 9 months at age 14. What do you think happens to people when from birth they are told the Bible is true and are forced to go to church by their family? It IS brainwashing.

I hate how some people are not given a chance to truly be a free thinker. If parents did not suggest to a child what their creator is, and instead let the child form their beliefs ON THEIR OWN, I would have much more respect for the opinion if it disagreed with mine. As it is right now, most religious people believe what they believe because they were told to believe it. I know this and I hate it.

If I ever have a kid, I will not send them to church and I will NOT even force my beliefs upon them, ESPECIALLY WHILE THEY ARE YOUNG. When they are old enough to think about the world for themself, if they are interested in what my beliefs are, I will tell them. However, I will never suggest they have to believe what I believe and will encourage them to form their own opinions.

#16     Mar 14, 2003
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

Your nonsense may mean the World to someone else.......Hey, you are free to say what you want and you bring up very good arguments to all ur issues,,,but the bashing, cmon......peace

#17     Mar 14, 2003
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

So your kid will never believe in Santa???:(

#18     Mar 14, 2003
  9. stu

stu

because ElCubano, religion drives a wedge of pious hypocrisy between different groups, even between different religious groups. It's taken too seriously by individuals and institutions as a basis for establishing or justifying morality, or for excluding or condemning those who do not join in. By custom it insists on a position of pre-eminent superiority and aims to devalue those who do not go along with it. Anything that comes across as condoning abuse, murder, sexism etc etc, whilst at the same time purports to be based on kindness and goodness but deserves nothing more than myth status, is deception at best and should be resisted. Toe curling cringingly sickening amphigory like "He is the way" or "miracle of God " is legitimately pukeable anyways

#19     Mar 14, 2003
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

Fanatics perhaps, but I have been around religious people ( and I do mean religious ) all my life and they do not bash non believers like GG and some bash believers...In the end it is not religion but the person..it is not racism but the person who practices it....You are talking extreme cases,,no one has ever told me to believe or get the fuck out....and u cant get more religious than Cubans...peace

#20     Mar 14, 2003