Whats the update on Larry Williams?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tradecrumbs, Mar 14, 2007.

1. What an irony… I just finished last night re-reading one of his bestsellers “How I made one million dollars….last year trading commodities”. I read again once every four five years. I still do not know whether he made it paper trading or real trading. The title of chapter one, page one is EXACTLY HOW I MADE MY MILLION DOLLARS BUT PAGES 1 TO 8 are just generalities.
    Nevertheless I owe to this book immensely:
    1. over the years I protected the capital by just following religiously his three phase method of managing money: a) the 30% stop rule. It is not a stop but he means you STOP INVESTING once yo have invested 30% of your capital. B) rule number two, USE STOPS. C) Rule number three: LIMIT THE NUMBER OF POSITIONS.
    2. The %R, a jewel! I got the book on the early 80’s but I was using this oscillator as early as 1975. On those days we did not have computers or internet but it was simple to compute with pencil and calculator on a small group of commodities. Over the years the bulk of profits came from the %R oscillator: overbought/oversold and crossover under/over -50. If I’m not mistaken Lane’s creation of the “stochastics” was based on Williams %R.

What a pity!!! I’m very sad to learn the trouble he is in now. His mind was (is) 24/7 on trading, maybe he overlooked that besides losses, commissions, spillage, etc. we have to share with the taxman what we get out of the vault on this trading arena. Sad…sad!!!!

Best!
    mF

#11     Mar 15, 2007
  2. Isn't the %R the same as the CCI? Measures
    overbought/oversold?

#12     Mar 15, 2007
  3. hi tradecrumbs:
    on your question:Isn't the %R the same as the CCI? Measures
    overbought/oversold?
    That's a good one but i do not know the answer. I'm a fan of the CCI to but it never occurred to me. I kind of mirrors the %R.
    However the CCI practically has no boundaries while the %R is contained between -100 and 1
    Best!
    mF

#13     Mar 15, 2007
  4. larry was given questionable advice by a supposed reputable lawyer/tax team. thats all i have to say on this subject. surf

#14     Mar 15, 2007
  5. Darn tax people mess up AGAIN. Hard to find a good one these days. :(

#15     Mar 15, 2007
  6. LOL

And the down side is?

j/k

#16     Mar 15, 2007
  7. Delete this stupid thread.

#17     Mar 15, 2007
  8. I wouldn't care nearly as much about my son smoking a joint as I would if he was toking on a dick. :p

#18     Mar 15, 2007
  9. Uhhh, that's really sick.

Like I said, this thread should be deleted.

#19     Mar 15, 2007
  10. I can't imagine the IRS not telling LW something like "We have denied your appeals and are dissallowing these deductions. Pay us $XXXX or we will prosecute for criminal charges..." Really, I don't think they just chuck you into jail without warning. Don't they give you a chance to pay?

At that point he should have realized the game was over and just paid up. So what I don't get, is why, if LM is such an incredible trader and educator, he didn't just drag out the check book?

I mean. what's a lousy $1.5 Mil to Larry Willaims? :confused:

#20     Mar 15, 2007