What's the record high a stock rose in a single day?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Akavall, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Dustin

Dustin

I remember that too, it was in 1998 I think. Actually I think it went from 2 to 11 one day, then 11 to high 70's the next morning.

#11     Jun 19, 2005
  2. When I traded NASDAQ stocks, one morning I popped open my trading platform/quotes/top 10 and saw a stock called AAGP.

It had been a "flatliner" for a year trading in the $1.00 range.

Well, it was suddenly sitting at $5.00.

I shorted it.

It then climbed to $8 then $11.

I just about used up all my port shorting it, figuring it was just a junk stock having a manic run then it would crash and I'd be rich.

Then it went to $15.

I shorted it more.

Then it went to $20.

I threw up.

It finally reached over $25, for a 2000% increase. Surprisingly I didn't blow up my account. Datek must have dozed off.

It dropped back all the way down, and finally went so low it got de-listed.

Oh, did I get rich? Nah... I was way too freaked and bailed at the first sign of daylight. :D

True story.

fxscalper

#12     Jun 19, 2005
  3. i think the greatest 1 day pt gainer ever for a stock under $1000 not counting the likes of berkshire was the day qcom was up $165 the day the guy put a $800 target on it. i belive that was nov 1999. the stock closed up145 or so. there were tons of stocks up 80-100 between 1998 and 1999. i remeber brcm and yhoo the day it was added to the s@p it was up like 90

#13     Jun 19, 2005
  4. zenith

zenith

CTTY today - up 300% from open today :D

#14     Jun 21, 2005
  5. lol.

CSLR, too. yesterday it closed at $3.20. today it went up 470% then crashed back down. i feel sorry for the guys who were the prints between $14.95 and $15. i wonder if those trades'll be busted.

#15     Jun 21, 2005
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

NTBK....had a huge run one day. longhorn is correct....i have seen pennies go up tenfold in a matter of a day or two...

#16     Jun 21, 2005
  7. EMLX, summer 2000. from 117 to about 46 and back to 113 in just a matter of minutes (although there was a halt of a couple of hours at the bottom).

EMLX was so pleased with NASDAQ's handling of the trading that they moved to the NYSE and trade under ELX.

#17     Jun 21, 2005
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

I remember that day...some college kid faxes a fake report on EMLX letterhead to CNBC which they broadcast and the stock went bananas...i made some nice coin and saw 2 guys make over $400k in a matter of minutes....on the watcher platform it was a sight to see i must admit...making money that fast was unreal to me....peace

#18     Jun 21, 2005
  9. I agree that QCOM was the largest single day gainer for a non-BB stock under $1000. There were some IPO's that priced way below their first day ranges (LNUX anyone???)

The China stock some of you guys are referring to is TIPS (Tianrong Internet)

good times, eh?

#19     Jun 21, 2005