Whats the point having a NASA like control center?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by retaildaytrader, Mar 5, 2010.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

I REALLY like this setup!

As for the debate, it all comes down to what one is used to, what they are watching, etc., One of the best Traders I know uses 8 22" monitors. For me, that would have me going in circles with information overload until he were to set me down in a chair beside him to learn what HE uses each monitor for.

This multi monitor debate will always rage on. I do like the above setup you posted ksonsic. Did you buy it yet?

#31     Mar 19, 2010
  2. spd

spd

LOL well I at least need another monitor for facebook, pandora, etc, haha

in all seriousness I'll probably just keep on keepin on with my laptop, its a badass sony vaio with a pretty big screen. i am in serious intimate love with it, best computer ive ever owned.

#32     Mar 19, 2010
  3. I think it depends what you trade.

If you trade a specific market (e-minis, etc), sure 1 monitor might work..

with equities probably not.
    2 is probably the minimum. Personally I use 4.

1 for overall market
    2 monitors for individual scanners and various stock charts.
    and 1 for order entry and positions...

I think it comes down to whether or not you like to ALT-TAB, or switch screens alot...

I DO know, that if you give me another screen, I WILL find a way to fill it.... and another, and another... :D

If you have the cash, no reason not to.

#33     Mar 20, 2010
  4. Honestly, I used to look at 4-5 different things on 3-4 monitors all at once until I found out that I really did not need to monitor any of that.

One time I thought it was useful to know what oil or the SPY was doing...however, its useless and may even be harmful to look at things that dont mean a hill of beans to what you are actually trading. I guess those guys on the floor of Morgan Stanley may need them for what they are doing, but me, Joe Sixpack does not need them.

I have 4 monitors. One is stuffed in the closet, another is off to the side turned off (disconnected), the 3rd is my laptop which is shut and then the main monitor I use is a 27 inch HP high definition. Why 27 inch? It only cost about $350 if I remember correctly. its very easy to read things from afar using it, displays great pictures/video and doubles as a television to play internet tv. Sometimes I will have the order screen on the laptop monitor and the chart on the 27 inch which makes it a little easier/faster...

However, you dont need any of that equipment. All you need to know about is what you are trading. Focus on what you are trading and you will make money. You dont need to know about oil or the spy. Who cares...just focus on what you are trading.

#34     Mar 20, 2010
  5. Don't knock it if you cannot process information this way. Any trader for a major institution doesn't work with one monitor. There are reasons for it.

#35     Mar 20, 2010
  6. The only thing I envy about the institutional trader is their paycheck and other frills that come with that job. However, I think their job sucks otherwise. Work in a big room with lots of assholes...you report to an asshole... I honestly would not want that job except to get a few good bonus payments under my belt and then find a way to split and move into another line of work. I just never dreamed of working in a room full of assholes and reporting to another asshole. I dont want my life to move in that direction.

In any event, the institutional trader's situation does not apply to my situation or the majority of the "Elitetrader's" situation. A guy sitting at this residence trading with the IB or TDAmeritrade wont need quantities of monitors.

#36     Mar 20, 2010
  7. Nor is he very likely to make any money...

#37     Mar 21, 2010
  8. Good work NoDoji,

Stay focused and get rid of the crap. I have heard of some of these guys with like 10+ monitors as if they think they can watch more than one or two at a time anyway.

Robert

#38     Mar 21, 2010
  9. Picaso

Picaso

Well said :)

#39     Mar 21, 2010
  10. Thats one sweeping generalization. Since when do you speak for the majority of Elitetrader? As some are explaining to you, you got your ways of trading and others got theirs. Some here in this thread are telling you why they use multiple monitors. Maybe you should read between the lines and understand WHY.

Its pointless to try to change people in their ways. You want to trade with one monitor, then do it. But unless you got a strong argument to the reasons why, most will just categorize this thread as a RANT and others will read more into this and learn why multiple monitors are a benefit.

#40     Mar 21, 2010