Whats the point having a NASA like control center?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by retaildaytrader, Mar 5, 2010.

1. JeffUSA

JeffUSA

I prefer 1 monitor that is as large as I can stand to look at. I currently use an Asus 25.5" with a 1900x1200 resolution. Charts sure look nice on the big screen.

I've also used 2 monitor setups before which can come in handy (i.e. leave all your instant messengers running in one window). I've even used 4 monitor setups before. The extra monitors on a 4 monitor setup can come in handy sometimes when you need to watch a lot of stuff but most of the time all those extra screens are just wasted space. It will give you nice bragging rights though when friends and family come over.

#11     Mar 5, 2010
  2. #12     Mar 5, 2010
  3. +1000

I think many who haven't experienced don't understand what a luxury several big screens are when discretionary trading. But as you said it depends on the style... if more screens distracts you then you should use less.

I started with one. Then I had to have two. Then three for all the new indicators I discovered, then four after I started trading crude, and finally I needed just one more screen to fit everything... but since you can't find a good stand for five I got six!!

But that's it!!! Anyone who has more or less then six 24 inch widescreens is an idiot that doesn't know how to trade!! :p

Right everyone?

#13     Mar 5, 2010
  4. LOL! Ha ha... That is hilarious! :p

#14     Mar 5, 2010
  5. This is kinda silly. Any given day I have positions on in between 20 - 40 markets between stocks, options, futures and forex. My trading desk has 12 monitors and I have several traders working with me who have between 4 and 12 monitors each. In addition, we have quite a few large screens around the office that are divided between CNBC, world markets, etc.

different people do different things, but I can honestly say I don't know any professional trader who uses only 1 monitor. We all have stories of being stuck in some airport trading from a laptop at one point or another, but that's not standard operating procedure.

Not everyone trades so many markets but it's still important to be able to watch some sector indexes and your stock and this is hard to do on one monitor.

#15     Mar 5, 2010
  6. For me it is sheer laziness. But I guess if you are trying to use correlations to play one move off another it does make it easier. But it is in no way necessary. This is so funny cuz on the CL thread I just mentioned something about how i miss the good ole days when I would stare at one chart all day.

#16     Mar 5, 2010
  7. what is your sample size?

#17     Mar 5, 2010
  8. I use to have four 15''-19'' lcd screens connected with 2 nvidia cards.

Now I work with a

1. "Hasee" 14.1 inch laptop , celeron 1.6ghz , 1 gig of ram ($400)
    2. 3g wireless internet card , but decently stable during market times.
    ($28 a month)
    3. Quotetracker. ($9 a month)
    4. finance.google.com / finance.yahoo.com (Free)

works.
    Here is why it works..
    Correlation between markets allows me to watch less things, and without that thought, you want to get confirmaton on 50 things. No need

If gold is + , Valero is going to be +
    If oil is + , prices of timberwood is going to be +
    if market is +, Cattle sold in australia will probably uptick for that day.

#18     Mar 5, 2010
  9. this is totally beyond funny and TRUE...kinda like the cats that think they need a $3,000 laptop...no one needs that...you can daytrade with a $500 Toshiba fine...this is crazy...no one needs the 'space shuttle' launch platform...great point RDT!

#19     Mar 5, 2010
  10. This is the funniest thing I have read in a week. Thanks for the laugh. Good one!

#20     Mar 5, 2010