Wha'ts the maximum size you can day trade?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chipmunk, Aug 15, 2008.

1. cosmic

cosmic

guess generalizing is hard on this topic, but if you look at your 5 min vol & know who is on the playground with you & also look at the dome to see what is defended during which times you see what is lying there for everyone with the skills to grab. i know from some bigger traders that about 200-400 at a clip is no problem during the right time frame. but from there most positions are scaled in & out. depends mostly on your edge & expectancies....not everything is about size ;))

nice weekend,
    cosmic

#31     Aug 15, 2008
  2. because I have not traded eminis and keep getting told different things about what you can and cannot trade with it.......that's all. Really.

#32     Aug 15, 2008
  3. see this is exaclty what I am talknig about.....so in this psot alone it has gone from 200 to 1,000+

Guess I'll have to experiment my-self.

Thanks anyway. I am off now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    guess generalizing is hard on this topic, but if you look at your 5 min vol & know who is on the playground with you & also look at the dome to see what is defended during which times you see what is lying there for everyone with the skills to grab. i know from some bigger traders that about 200-400 at a clip is no problem during the right time frame. but from there most positions are scaled in & out. depends mostly on your edge & expectancies....not everything is about size ;))

nice weekend,
    cosmic

#33     Aug 15, 2008

4. ever tried a prop firm? could get a lot more leverage intraday.

#34     Aug 15, 2008
  5. I don't know where you live or what the cost of living is there, but if you cannot at least double your account size and then cut it in half for profit every year, maybe it's not worth your time as a trader...

#35     Aug 15, 2008
  6. Trade ES with 100 lots and you will see rather quickly what you can and cannot do.

#36     Aug 15, 2008
  7. cosmic

cosmic

:cool:

very well put...nothin much too add, you better know what you're doing then :)

#37     Aug 15, 2008
  8. cosmic

cosmic

Well I guess you put it right - start an experiment yourself...i can only tell you one thing...developing your edge in the ES should pay off big, if it is a real edge...ES will not limit your size....

:cool:

#38     Aug 15, 2008
  9. I used to think that ES had enough liquidity to daytrade 1000+ contracts too, but that is only a half truth.

Beginners trading 1-10 contracts will realize almost immediate fills for the full order.

Trade more than 20 contracts and you start to notice that orders are getting broken up and you frequently might sit for 10 seconds or so with a partial fill before the rest of the order is filled.

Trade more than 100 contracts and the wait time for filling a complete order increases.

My trades are quite time sensitive, and I usually have no more than 10 seconds to get my order filled before the opportunity is gone, or the probability drops dramatically. Obviously taking 20-seconds to fill 100+ contracts doesn't fit with that. So I have no choice but to get the order through quicker, and the only way to do this is to accept more slippage.

At any random time, if you enter a 1,000 contract market order on ES, you'll give up at least 1/2 a point in slippage. If you enter it as a limit order one of two things will happen:
    1) It sits there getting partial fills for the next 30 seconds.
    2) The price moves against you giving you an immediate fill, and you're sitting on a 0.50 loss due to slippage.

So a more accurate response to the ES liquidity question would be,

"Sure you can trade 1,000+ contracts on ES, but slippage will start to affect your returns to a greater extent."

#39     Aug 15, 2008
  10. Well, in volume I have seen 1000 lots of ES move in a snap. All in timing. Slippage is not an issue with limit orders and, again, volume.

#40     Aug 15, 2008