What's the Main Impediment to Getting a Job in US?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by shortie, May 13, 2011.

Main Impediment for getting a Job in US?

1. Cheap Labor abroad (China/India/etc)

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Cheap Labor due to illegal immigration in US

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. High Unemployment benefits

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Other

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
  1. I don't think that gratuitous unemployment benefits are keeping Americans unemployed. Competition for jobs is as fierce right now as it's ever been. People WANT to work. The jobs are simply not there because corporations are afraid and/or unwilling to expand their labor force. Why is that? I think that it's because of the overall destruction of wealth caused by the housing collapse, cheaper labor elsewhere, draconian labor laws, excessive litigation and risk related to employing others, and an overall lack of confidence in the value that can be added by a new employee, after accounting for all of the expenses involved with employment.

#21     May 13, 2011
  2. jprad

jprad

You might want to check into the history of Lehman Bros. The only part you got right was that they were Jewish.

#22     May 13, 2011
  3. And that is the ONLY thing I said about Lehman Brothers in my previous post!

Did I say anything else about Lehman Brothers?

#23     May 14, 2011
  4. It's more a lack of jobs that pay living wage.

#24     May 14, 2011
  5. Repeat: racial discrimination today.

the whites don't want the blacks to be firefighters.

why? because firefighting job means 95% of the time you sit inside the station, playing poker, chatting, having sex with female firefighters, playing more poker, and then having more sex with female firefighters.

Who wants the blacks to take away such wonderful jobs? send them to McDonald's.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_chicago_firefighters_lawsuit

#25     May 14, 2011
  6. jo0477

jo0477

Check out this thread for context and you'll see why you shouldn't even bother with this fool... Notes123 officially one of the worst ET'ers

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=220513&perpage=6&pagenumber=1

#26     May 14, 2011
  7. Nice article.

Which reminds me.

I wanted to haul medical waste (when this issue first started getting regulated). The process was this: You can't solicit customers unless you had a permit. You couldn't get a permit unless you had customers.

Hazardous waste had plenty of these "catch 22's".

Obviously, this was not the same as barbers etc, but still, no room for small potato's.

#27     May 14, 2011
  8. jprad

jprad

From your previous post: "So the Jewish people set up their own banks, including Lehman Brothers."

Like I said, go check your history. They didn't start out as a bank.

#28     May 14, 2011
  9. clacy

clacy

I recently joined a family business and now do much of our hiring and expansion/new business development. We just started a new business in another state, and the amount of paperwork, documentation, applications, legal advice, accounting advice, permits and just generally jumping through hoops for the fed/state/county/city is insane.

It's a wonder anyone that has more than a few million dollars would want to open any new business in this day and age. It's getting hard to justify the risk and effort involved.

Once the business is actually open we will be threatend (legally) and sued by many employees over the course of time, for wrongful termination or discrimination if they are fired for performance reasons.

The amount of documentation that goes into our business, which has a high # of employees, but low per/employee profit margin, is extremely time consuming and productivity zapping. We have to document them for every little thing they do wrong, because otherwise when they actaully do something big, we cannot fire them if there isn't a paper trail that paints the picture that they had performance issues.

Lawyers and government are ruining business.

#29     May 14, 2011
  10. As far as not being able to fire people as a reason for not hiring, corporate America has gotten excessively fearful over litigation risk in minor matters unrelated to sales while still showing gross negligence when they want to. A small company that I use to work for got a new manager, within a year, almost everyone at the high end of the pay scale was fired. One by one; with prejudice; over picky, contrived, or fictitious issues. I don't believe that firing people is that much harder than having the will to actually do it. I once fired someone for not advancing their skill set fast enough.

On the other side, my current employer has a strong product and we can't keep up with the RFPs. Everyday, we are interviewing. We are even adding to our recruiting staff. If you know someone diligent, conscientious, and bright who is interested in working for a Financial Software company in Boston for development, Stamford/NYC/Worldwide for sales, please send them my way. If I like a resume, I shoot it straight to the hiring manager.

The two categories that have the highest volume:

Programmers: Intern, Junior, Mid, or Senior. .Net experience. Must be bright and be a team player.

Quality Assurance: All levels. 9 months of repetitive testing as a means of industry training. Followed by a role in documentation, sales, or product design.

We are looking to hire. Our employees represent all ethnicities.

#30     May 14, 2011