What's the general strategy for people on this forum?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cyber0066, Aug 2, 2006.

1. I just started investing and so far, the few books I've read mainly focused on long term investing (buffett). Knowing a company inside/out etc etc.

Seems like the mentality of this forum isn't like that. Everyone's talking about technical analysis, day trading with some of these terms I never even heard of.

So I'm just wondering what the mentality of this forum is. Just cuz if it's the latter, then ET might not be the right place for me. I'm looking for long term strategies.

2. You have pretty much answered your own question....

I'm sure you can still find good information from swing traders though...

3. 95+% losers
    5-% winners

4. No, this is not the place for you.

Anyway, we don't think long-term investment is the way to go. It's not really a good idea in my humble opinion.

If the security falls to 10%, do you stop-loss? How about 30%? How about 50%? Still keeping it since it's a long-term investment.

It's the last few strategies I will pick.

5. 1 week is long term for us. :D

6. Not the place for the buy and hold investor.

7. unfortunately, I'm one of those 95% :(

8. give it time. it's not going to happen overnight.

i'm still working on it, trading incredibly light, and if it takes another few years, thats fine with me. i love trading and im not after getting rich quick, so a little patience and perspective are my best friends at the moment.

happy trading

9. Well, I'm in school mostly during the day so I don't really have much time to analyze so many stocks in the short term.

And lucky my holdings have never dropped as low as 10% so far. I put a stop-loss at 7% for the 1st two stocks I owned though. I just try to look for companies that show potential growth and invest in them hoping they'll go up within the next year or so.

Any suggestions for forums targeted towards buy and hold strategies.

10. That's too bad. I liked this forum because it's the most active I've seen so far.

#10     Aug 2, 2006