What's the dumbest thing you've done?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 88888accountant, Dec 14, 2005.

1. dont

dont

Mine was buying dollars at 107 and then going the otherway at 136!

Ouch

#11     Dec 15, 2005
  2. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

dumbest thing ive done?

hmm - a few candidates, but some of my posts on et probably come close

:D

#12     Dec 15, 2005
  3. How about when you think you're long but you're actually short. You don't realize your mistake for a while and its ends up being a fairly decent trade.

#13     Dec 15, 2005
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Covering a QQQQ (then QQQ) short for a big loss around 120.00 in march of 2000.

#14     Dec 15, 2005
  5. I was short via Rydex 2x inverse S&P funds from early Sept 2002 into the bottom October and I gave back 90% of my paper profits because I didn't think the bottom was in.....it was.....

#15     Dec 15, 2005
  6. hcour

hcour Guest

Not a trading story, but: When I was younger I used to drive a motorcycle and I also smoked. One night it was late and I'd been riding for awhile and I was tired so I decided to pull over to the side of the road and have a smoke. As I was relaxing w/my cigarette I got curious as to how much gas I had. So I took the cap off the tank and actually lit a match, intending to put it into the mouth of the tank to check the gas level. Then I realized what I was about to do. It still gives me the willies 20 yrs later to think that I was about to pull some kind of grotesque 3 Stooges routine.

H

#16     Dec 15, 2005
  7. Skog

Skog

Trading 4 ES contracts on a 5k account.

Me love that leverage... :(

#17     Dec 15, 2005
  8. lescor

lescor

Sending a large basket of orders after entering the price of S&P futures out by 100 points.

I was long about $10M worth of stock before I could cancel the rest. Got freakin' lucky with the market and actually made a few grand, but could have wiped out my account.

#18     Dec 15, 2005
  9. jessop

jessop

My top two:

1) Trying to short the market from March to June 2003 !!

2) Signing up for EWI services - the ultimate newbie mistake. Utter bollocks.

Cheers

J

#19     Dec 15, 2005
  10. Moving the suburbs from the gold coast in chicago, then trying to trade from home alone instead of in an office environment.

#20     Dec 15, 2005