What's the dumbest thing you've done?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 88888accountant, Dec 14, 2005.

1. jkarn

jkarn

Went home long NG Christmas Eve!

#131     Jan 5, 2006
  2. there are too many to list. tons of order entry mistakes that add up. a few long term plays that come to mind are being long 15000 shares of SIRI at 3.75 and sold at 4.10, and long 6000 shares of XMSR at 6.15 and sold at 5.75 - both were intended to be long plays. my gf wanted to buy GOOG when it came public, but i didn't.

had a chance for a second interview at Timber Hill to work in the SP Futures Pit, but i made a mistake on the trader's name when i went to call him. contacted original interviewer and he said, we have no one by that name, thx for your interest. oh well. not sure it's that bad as i'm doing pretty well, but it was still stupid to write down the guy's name wrong.

#132     Jan 5, 2006
  3. Bought LNUX at 160 let it go to 1.00

#133     Jan 5, 2006
  4. Forgot this, about 8 years ago used to pay $100 in comission to ML to trade 100 share:mad:

#134     Jan 5, 2006
  5. CBOT IPO came out and I really wanted in but I told myself I would not pay over 70$ for the stock. It opened at 80$ on the first day and sat there for a couple days. I thought," hey I'll just wait for a pull back to get in." The stock started going straight up the next couple weeks, through 90$ - 100$ - 110$ then 120$. Finally at 125$ I could not take anymore so I bought in at 129$. Within 1 hour of the trade the stock began to head down by the next day it was down to 115$ and continued to drop.
    :mad:

#135     Jan 6, 2006
  6. ldb

ldb

Easy:

To subscribe to Elliot Wave International. What a boondoggle!

Now, I simply briefly subscribe to that service when I know that they're probably advising some loony prediction, just to see how they wiggle themselves out of their ridiculous wave counts. My favorite is when they say that they can't account for the current market scenario (because they need a few more days to get creative.)

Or for that matter, subscribing to any advisory service. What a joke!

#136     Jan 8, 2006
  7. I bought a stock on sale.

MS.

#137     Jan 8, 2006
  8. Gold_Ric

Gold_Ric

Using a Keyboard to execute Trades and different sounds for fills long, short and pending order, One morning pre-market I wanted to buy a 2 buck stock pumping with nice volume.

I kept trying to buy and didn't think I was filling because my speakers were off, didn't care to look at execution fill.

well size was filled about 10x the amount I wanted and when I looked at the fills I had, well lets just say it was a good day to get shook up. Luck was on my side, offered all for a nickle and was hit..

#138     Jan 9, 2006
  9. I sold a gold stock when gold fell to $534 from $544... That gold stock is up another 30% now so gold fell but my ex-stock ...

#139     Jan 9, 2006
  10. Perseus

Perseus

I lost $6K to those damned options salespeople who said that heating oil always goes up in the fall. After I lost that I sent them another $6K to lose again. To be so young again....

I was naive enough to think that the nice man on the phone really wanted to make me a lot of money, and I believed that $175 commision per option was normal. If I ever run into someone who does that for a living, I am going to verbally ream their shameless ass and if they get mouthy back I am not sure if I could hold back from hitting them.

#140     Jan 10, 2006