What's the dumbest thing you've done?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 88888accountant, Dec 14, 2005.

1. bl7077

bl7077

In 2001, I was fresh out of law school, living in New York, and looking for a job. I was working as a paralegal at some crappy insurance company for some measley pay while awaiting my bar exam results.

A local in the oil pit on the NYMEX offered me a job clerking for him for $24,000 per year. Even though I was only making about $8,000 more than that, I decided I wouldn't be able take the decrease. Things were already tight and there was the prospect of a high paying attorney job after passing the bar.

We all know what oil did in the ensuing years. A google search of that guy's name turns up some impressive hits now. I will always regret not taking that job.

#121     Jan 1, 2006
  2. Ok, my newest dumbest thing. I sold an oil stock and the next day it goes up 10%.

#122     Jan 1, 2006
  3. varelse

varelse

Could have been employee #3 of The Yost Group (the guys who made 3D Studio)...

I feel your pain...

#123     Jan 2, 2006
  4. hans37

hans37

Got married 9/11/01, need I say more?

#124     Jan 2, 2006
  5. Breaking one's own rules. :)

#125     Jan 2, 2006

6. what the hell do you consider a homerun if 15% intraday is a base hit?

#126     Jan 2, 2006

7. 7 base hits and ive doubled my money, wham bam thank you mam thats how easy it is, now just do it a few times in a row and im a millionare. who said trading was hard?
    can i subscribe to this service too please?

#127     Jan 2, 2006
  8. Liquidating a generous position of SEB@$230.00 in 1994 ( wedding gift), it's bouncing around @$1,200.00 now

ignoring my attorneys advice to buy into AOL back when I had AOL's service for my business and paid by the minute on my Mac performa. They had a little banner ad that would slowly load and ask users to invest in the future. I ignored that ad like a true dumbie.

Selling steady eddies to jump on the stupid momo wagon to the poor house.

Sometimes I think the buy and hold guys are right. :eek:

#128     Jan 2, 2006
  9. varelse

varelse

That's 'cuz they *are* mostly right ;-)...

It's those times that they're wrong that make all the difference...

#129     Jan 3, 2006
  10. :mad:

selling naked puts with too much margin

that was the dumbest thing so far. It was on OVTI when the trend was down and smart money was 30% short.

Currently working on making money on dividend arbitrage and buying stock in small unknown companies. The risk being that many micro companies are scams.

#130     Jan 3, 2006