What's the dumbest thing you've done?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 88888accountant, Dec 14, 2005.

1. volente_00

volente_00

As promised, I verified the statement and it was 600 shares not 1000. When I was trading YHOO, I tried to keep my total position around 100k and when it was under 100 I traded 1000 share lots.

#111     Dec 19, 2005
  2. Deptrai

Deptrai

I finished reading "A Killing in Hong Kong" from the Dec/Jan edition of the Trader Monthly magazine. I thought about all you guys who said marriage was the dumbest thing you've done. Look on the bright side. At least you are still alive.

#112     Dec 21, 2005
  3. mark1

mark1 Guest

He means biologically alive... :p

#113     Dec 21, 2005
  4. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

when i was a kid i played chicken with my mates - this is when you dare eachother to run out in front of moving cars on the highway.

unfortunately i was hit and hurt real bad. i now have a permanent metal plate in my head keeping my skull together. this has some nasty side effects. when ever my girlfriend uses the microwave i piss my pants and forget who i am.

i wont say what happens when i answer my cell phone.

#114     Jan 1, 2006
  5. Lotus 7

Lotus 7

good one Fred

#115     Jan 1, 2006
  6. MBTrader

MBTrader

How true...How true...Took me a while to learn this one.

In personal trading, I've made all the mistakes but the stupidest was probably being long the stock and short naked puts. Easy way to double up your loss when it goes against you. Fortunately, I have learned from those mistakes.

In professional trading (municipal bonds), the worst mistake I can make is to be short a position I can't cover. Doesn't happen often but when it does, it can be expensive.

#116     Jan 1, 2006
  7. svrart

svrart

I was short US Surgical and the stock was very slow, so I put on a much larger short position. A few hours later the stock rallied by a huge amount and I was still short. This was on Friday. I could do nothing over the weekend, but look at the large loss I had. I cried that Saturday.

#117     Jan 1, 2006
  8. I have been on elite for a little bit but I very rarely post. I think one of the dumbest things I did was get mad at this Arab guy who tried to kill my daddy. See my daddy spanked this Arab guy good for picking on this friend’s country and messing with our black tea. So I ran for president with this dick my daddy was friends with because I am not much for working. So to make a long story short planes hit buildings and I scream that mans name until people believe me. So now I go in there and take this land from this guy my daddy and me hate but those people who live there don’t seem to like me or my dick telling them how to live. So now I got those people mad at me and my people mad at me. Well I really don’t know what people want from me anymore. I was born rich did coke and drinking for 20 years then was born again and said hell I going to be president. I am not going to say who I am but that was one of my bigger mistakes for sure.

#118     Jan 1, 2006
  9. Being up 20K on some mad cow stock and not selling.

Lesson: take the money and run!

Jim Cramer's book "You got screwed!..." comes to mind.

#119     Jan 1, 2006
  10. bubba1

bubba1

Fighting the market . . . not simply admitting I was wrong and dealing with it by simply SAR.

#120     Jan 1, 2006