What's the dumbest thing you've done?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 88888accountant, Dec 14, 2005.

1. mark1

mark1 Guest

They still have your picture in the airport security office :D

#91     Dec 17, 2005
  2. 1/4 oz. is nothing....they wouldnt have hanged you for that....you wouldve only got maybe 20 or 30 years. :)

There is a book called 4000 days about a man who spent that much time in a thai prison for smuggling (heroin i think) Man, it sounded so much worse than any hell hole you could ever even imagine. I think even Pablo Escabar would think twice about smuggling drugs in that country after reading that book.

#92     Dec 17, 2005
  3. Placed a large spx credit spread order...buying versus selling...and was down over $500,000 ln the am...by the end of the day...I traded my way to only being down $32,000...

#93     Dec 17, 2005
  4. reply to:

Back in 2001, as a newly minted CTA, I made my first trade in the Schindler Trading Program. It was an exciting day for me and I wanted very badly to make my first couple of investors some money and to start what I hoped would be a profitable track record. My systematic strategy had me go long the e-mini Nasdaq futures.

It was the afternoon of September 10th.

Aaron Schindler
    Schindler Trading

Definitely not dumb. These are the things a trader would do again, and again, until the strategy started to become unprofitable as a whole. :)

five8s

#94     Dec 17, 2005
    #95     Dec 17, 2005
  6. This is my worst moment.

A few years back when i started dating this very nice girl, we planned to have dinner at my place and such. That day i hit the gym hard, so i downed a HUGE protein shake. A few hours later it hit me hard. To make a long story short, when i was making dinner, she sneaked up behind me and hugged me, and from the hug came a MASSIVE FART! and i mean MASSIVE!

#96     Dec 18, 2005
  7. volente_00

volente_00

Back when I was trading YHOO many years ago I was long 1000 shares and wanted to exit at 170. By mistake I entered a market order to sell 1000 at $17 and it filled instantly. When I got the electronic confirmation back it said 1000 YHOO sold at $17 for a total of $17,000 proceed. I almost had a heart attack after realizing I had just lost 153k from being stupid. So I called up ETRADE to see if I could get the trade busted and after being on hold for what seemd like hours , the guy started laughing at me and said, you got a little price improvement on your order and it was executed at 169.95 To this day I still have the paper confirmation of that trade to remind me of how stupid I was for not double checking my order.

#97     Dec 18, 2005
  8. volente_00

volente_00

You weren't the only one. I had been trading options for a little while and was doing pretty good and I got the bright idea to step my size up and buy $3500 worth of calls and hold overnight for the first time ever. I bought the calls on Sept 10 and learned a very valuable lesson the next day.

#98     Dec 18, 2005
  9. It's funny how stories get exagerrated over time. I am not flaming you here; I remembered your YHOO anecdote and searched for it. Still a good story, regardless of the PnL:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=385784#post385784

#99     Dec 18, 2005
  10. volente_00

volente_00

Now I have a mission, I am going to go get the paper confirmation and verify the number of shares.

#100     Dec 18, 2005