What's the difference between trader and portfolio manager?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ezbentley, May 16, 2009.

1. Smoker

Smoker

What were you producing? Were you proprietary trading or in some kind of sales position?

I have been in the business since 1982 and have never met this portfolio manager.

I have met a lot of guys that finished each day looking like they had been in a fist fight.

In today’s world this guy is more likely to be described as a great drinking buddy by night and spends his days working as an execution monkey for the portfolio manager who is running his version of the Black-Litterman model on his lap top while doing a line of coke to stay awake after being up all night playing the Heng Seng.

Just my two dirhams worth!

Cheers Smoker

#121     Jan 30, 2013
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Something is shady when information like this takes this long to come out.

Recheck the assumption that you are good at interviews. Interviewing in college is different than interviewing as an experienced hire.

#122     Jan 30, 2013
  3. Smoker

Smoker

A college interview is mostly personality while an experienced trader interview is mostly mathematics.

BTW I have been off the board for a while so what happened to your job search dedicated trader?

Cheers Smoker

#123     May 7, 2013
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

That guy went away when we started challenging his statements. My guess it was a troll.

My experience was in college the interview was mostly mathematics and personality. Semi-experienced (associate equivalent) was what you had done and understanding of the product and Senior trader was what you had produced and definable alpha and investment process.

#124     May 7, 2013
  5. Smoker

Smoker

When I interviewed with CRT, Hull Trading, Cooper Neff, O’Conner etc in Chicago in the early 80s they all had me do mental “speed arithmetic” during the interview to prove I could learn to follow my option sheets, quote spreads etc in the pits.

It was pretty stressful the first time it happened in an interview. I did ok but it was after being hired and being trained up in mock trading sessions at CRT where I got my speed to respectable levels.

I am so glad those interview days are far behind me never to be repeated.

Cheers Smoker

#125     May 13, 2013
  6. chimera

chimera

trader = loses own money

portfolio manage = loses o.p money and takes com's for doing so.

Guess which one "smart" people do?

#126     May 22, 2013
  7. Smoker

Smoker

Hi chimera,

How do you think the portfolio manager gets a shot at trading OPM in the first place?

If you have the track record with your own money it is only a matter of time before someone comes after you. In trading like sports talent always is found. In the modern world it is practically impossible to fly under the radar if you have talent.

Warmest Regards, Smoker

#127     Feb 17, 2014
    Occam likes this.