What's the catch?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by jboydston, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Our new software has automated execution from TS, VB, C++, and several other programming languages. It also allows you to trade multiple systems and multiple accounts. It makes it easier to be disciplined and follow your system.

#41     Aug 28, 2002
    #42     Aug 28, 2002
  3. Sunny,

In accordance to this KISS method, draw another line above or below the first line. This line is your exit.

aphie

#43     Aug 28, 2002
  4. ddefina

ddefina

Or a trailing stop, or wait till close. My favorite is the LOD/HOD exit that only certain brokerages have. Gets you out at the exact extreme of day. :D :( :) :mad: :confused: :cool: :eek:

#44     Aug 28, 2002
  5. jaan

jaan

do what we do: decrease your size when in a slump.

- jaan

#45     Aug 28, 2002
  6. By averaging down when you're in a slump... aren't you compounding your losses?

I try to increase size after a loosing day/trade/week and decrease size after a winning streak.

#46     Aug 28, 2002
  7. nitro

nitro

I agree with whomever the aformentioned guru is: backtesting is worthless.

A "system" that works should work on all markets without optimization - it should spring from your head, and when you trade it, you will see that immediately it makes money. Of course you will monitor it for weakness, as all systems have a child like quaility to them [that is both their strength and weakness,] and adjust accordingly [if possible - I don't know if I could program a computer the "instincts" that I use when trading]

nitro

#47     Aug 28, 2002
  8. Magna

Magna Administrator

jboydston,

Jaan didn't say anything about averaging down, simply decreasing his size when in a slump. Your idea of increasing size after a losing streak is bass ackwards and very dangerous (sounds like the gambler in Vegas doubling his bet when he's down). As to decreasing size after a winning streak a good argument can be made for that approach as most people have their biggest losses after a big win streak.

#48     Aug 28, 2002
  9. Magna,

Averaging down in futures and stocks are two totally different things -- indexes can't go bankrupt, and if they do, you'll have worse problems than just being dead broke.

Some systems incorporate averaging down -- I know the system I am developing makes use of averaging down on my purchase of ES contracts as long as I am still above my stop. I think it is all about position management in this index-futures game.

aphie

#49     Aug 28, 2002
  10. Backtesting and optimization are different things. I am not a fan of optimization. But what's the harm in seeing if a system can make money on historical data? How can the knowledge you gain be worthless?

#50     Aug 28, 2002