Whats the Biggest Instant Fill Size for Institutions and Private Investors?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by achilles28, Sep 23, 2005.

1. tomcole

tomcole

Theres lots of ways to get size done, but, what difference does it make ?

Keep in mind that if you go out and hit 10 banks for 100 bucks each, none will appreicate it, but if you give 1 an order for your full amount, you'd probably get a better fill. Banks dont like being used like punching bags. In my experience, the truly significant customers dont jerk banks around with volume, they simply show their side and give a level they want to be filled at.

Its the smaller customers who feel banks should be their personal ATM that nobody likes or wants as customers. A good, no, great relationship with a trading bank is invaluable, and if you're making money from a bank, you dont want to lose that access. You always want to be on their call list!

Its all about relationship!

#11     Sep 26, 2005
  2. Neodude

Neodude

Agree,

If you are a big customer and your credit rating is in good standing you should be able to do decent size. The biggest I've seen coming across my screen has been about $1.5bn in one trade, $500MM is typical.

-Neo

#12     Sep 26, 2005
  3. oh gawd, I think I'm gonna VOMIT!

what's a matter with you guys?? you're living back in the dark ages!

1. EUR/USD is the most highly traded instrument in the world - there's PLENTY of volume.

2. $2 TRILLION units a DAY is traded in the world of forex. WTF are you worried about "biggest instant fill size???"

3. OANDA has changed the face of the planet when it comes to forex. If you doubt that, read this.

4. The old ways of trading FX have changed forever, the old MMs are just catching up.

In essence, OANDA says, "You can trade ANY amount of units in EUR/USD and other majors at any time."

That's reality, fellas.

However, if you take a pair like GBP/HUF or one of the smaller asian or exotic pairs, sure there may be some liquidity problems at times but I don't see ANY size being struggled with regarding the issues brought up in this thread - not since OANDA got on the scene.

The automation of OANDA is to forex what the search capacities of Google are to old DOS commands.

It's a new time and a new era: If you're still dealing with some backwater, two-bit operation you need to switch forex brokers.

If you have any doubt as to the validity of what I am saying here, call OANDA and ask them point blank.

Come on, guys, get with it! :D

fxskalper

#13     Sep 26, 2005
  4. tomcole

tomcole

Does oanda have an audited balance sheet? And by audited, I mean an auditor I've heard of.

#14     Sep 26, 2005
  5. achilles28

achilles28

To satisfy my personal curiosity and desire to know more?

Interesting. My take on trading banks is they would front run, fade or brute force a clients successful trading strategy while maintaining a duplicitous facade of niceties and professional courtesy.

Although I don’t have any first experience to substantiate that conclusion, that is the game, isn't it?

Out maneuver your competitors by raw guile, cunning and ingenuity to line your own pockets?

That being said, yes, I acknowledge the importance of maintaining a amicable relationship with a trading bank to keep the money flowing.

But to be honest, I don’t know what exactly having a 'great relationship' with a trading bank entails?

#15     Oct 2, 2005
  6. achilles28

achilles28

Thanks for posting ;)

#16     Oct 2, 2005
  7. achilles28

achilles28

Hey scaplz. Im not sure why you would let my question upset you? Hope you didn’t vomit on yourself. That would have been unnecessary.

Oanda deals in retail volumes. The question addressed avg interbank volumes available to bigger players.

Im not sure how Oanda has any relevance to the original question, but cudos for spreading your spirited vitriol anyway.

Maybe pisspotpete could chime in and weight a final analysis?

Booga booga.

#17     Oct 2, 2005
  8. has nothing to do with it, Achile.

guys think Oanda is for a bunch of lightweight retail "traders" with $1000 accounts trading 100-unit trades.

you got it all wrong.

Oanda could move 1/2 the entire forex volume in a given day on its own servers.

that's something you don't understand.

catch up with the times, dude.

#18     Oct 2, 2005
  9. needless to say, your 200% correct... for good or bad, i was on the other side once, what do u think we cared more about, your success or our bonuses??? just think...

#19     Oct 4, 2005
  10. tomcole

tomcole

I doubt you were with a Tier 1 bank. Most Tier 1s are in cut-throat competition with EACH OTHER. For large, legit customers Tier 1s will do practically anything so that the client is happy.

Most money is made going with the client, or on forward rolls. A sure way to lose your job at a Tier 1 is to rip off a customer and then have the customer have lunch with senior management and say," We WOULD have done x,y and z with you guys, but your forex/bond/equity team ripped us off." Thats a bonus killer, if not a job killer.

Retail shops have such high customer churn and thats the reason they dont care about customers. As far as some retail shop being able to do real FX business, highly unlikely as they lack capital, and skills to execute size. Plus not having a direct line to the Fed is a deal killer for large, insitiutional clients.

#20     Oct 4, 2005