What's the best way to clone a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrDinky, Jul 4, 2003.

1. i just got a new wd hard drive. it came with data transfer software.
    just plug it in and a few mouse clicks and it was done. took less than an hour. so far everything seems perfect. it was amazingly simple.

#41     Jan 31, 2004
  2. vhehn,

I'm also getting a WD drive but it is OEM--I don't think it'll come with software. Let me know the name of the software, maybe I can download it from their web site. I looked at their download section but I didn't notice data transfer software.

Did you make a bootable copy of the original disk and keep them both in your PC?

Thanks,

Chinook

#42     Jan 31, 2004
  3. It's on the WD website as Data Lifeguard Tools V. 11.0.

#43     Jan 31, 2004
  4. yes it is Data Lifeguard Tools V. 11.0. the software asks you if you want to make a storage disk or a bootable disk. i did a bootable disk and they both boot the computer and have all the data. when the software is transfered you just swap the new one to master and your done.

ps im on win 2000

#44     Jan 31, 2004
  5. Vhehn and Max401,

I downloaded Data Lifeguard Tools V. 11.0 and installed it. But it's not running. The error message says it encountered a problem and needs to close! I'm running Win XP Pro.

My main mission is to be able to clone my hard drive periodically and have two bootable and almost identical hard drives in my PC. I wonder if I can do that with Data Lifeguard.

Thanks,

Chinook

#45     Jan 31, 2004
  6. Do you have the WD drive on the system yet? It's got to see a WD brand in there.

#46     Jan 31, 2004
  7. I don't have the new drive in yet but my original drive is a WD too. I went over the the WD support site and they're not supporting having multiple boot disks in the PC.

I downloaded Casper XP (30 day trial) and it looks like it can do exactly what I want. I'll try it and if it works, I'll buy it--it's about $45. It can do everything under windows without boot floppies etc.

Chinook

#47     Jan 31, 2004
  8. I read their website and it seems to be very impressive.

#48     Jan 31, 2004
  9. Why don't you run a new installation of Windows on your new hard drive? Why would you want to clone the old hard drive and copy all the old problems, hidden programs etc.

I have three computers and every few months for one reason or another I do a clean re-install of Windows on one of them. I just put all my important files, emails in the My Documents folder and copy that folder to the new hard drive with the network or with a CD. I keep a few notes on how I set up the new hard drive each time so I will be able to remember for the next time.

I can get a new hard drive set up and running in a couple of hours while doing something else at the same time. This in my mind would be better and easier than fooling around with cloning software. Its also good practice to re-install Windows once in a while. To me thats a useful skill to have. If I have a hard drive fail on me, I can go out to the computer store, get a new hard drive and be up and running again that same day.

#49     Jan 31, 2004
  10. I concur, unless you have a relatively recent OS install.

#50     Jan 31, 2004