What's the best company for wireless internet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackbeard, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Eight

Eight

I had Boost Mobile a year or two ago. The service went out for a couple of days and it was a big ho-hum for them, they never explained anything at all... I got a Galaxy S 3G phone and unlimited data from T-Mobile this year. You dl an app and connect the charging cable to your computer USB and you have internet.

There are a couple of good things about T-Mobile. The unlimited data's only caveat is that after a certain amount of data they throttle back the bandwidth. If I was playing movies a lot it would get throttled back but otherwise I'll never hit that limit. 3G is plenty for my intraday trades, not high speed at all... T-Mobile can roll out their 4G network a lot easier then the rest, they don't have to make any hardware changes to upgrade it, just some techs have to install some firmware at the cell sites and you are in 4G zone...

#11     Sep 9, 2011
  2. Verizon 4G LTE. Its all relative as they say wireless cell internet can't matched wired. But Verizon is the best. Consumer Reports says so.

#12     Sep 9, 2011
  3. rcj

rcj

Thanks for the report Heech. Im in a "near" suburb and there seem to be lots of towers in the area. Think im going to give them a test run. My main concern is latency to IB and going down during bad weather.

#13     Sep 9, 2011
  4. I use verizon and I'm very happy with it. I get 5gb for $50 a month. I'm online almost 24hrs a day and use about 75% of that each month.

If you need to download something really big you can always go somewhere that has wifi.

The verizon store employees work on commission so they really want to help you.

I had a signal problem once at 2:00 am and called and they answered right away.

I don't know how other services work, but the modem requires no electricity, so you can just keep going during a power outage.

#14     Sep 9, 2011
  5. if you're worried 5gb isn't enough you can just run over and they charge you an extra $10 for each gb over 5. But the only way you can usue more than 5 a month is to watch tv or movies.

I listen to online radio and watch a lot of you tubes, but like I said, my cycle ends on the 11th of the month and they just sent me a msg yesterday on the 8th that I'd hit 75%.

I trade forex so I have my IB screen on all the time Sunday night through Fri afternoon.

Disconnection is extremely rare. It often happens Saturday morning, so I guess that's when they do updates.

#15     Sep 9, 2011