What's the best asset class for the next 1-5 years if we become deflationary?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ultimaonliner, Mar 8, 2008.

1. zeroes

#11     Mar 9, 2008
  2. Cheap booze, prostitution, and cocaine and BC powder.

BC Powder =inflation

Good luck.

#12     Mar 9, 2008
  3. Are you freakin serious? Man what an ego, seriously..... stfu

#13     Mar 9, 2008
  4. S2007S

S2007S

Gold and every other single commodity are now being hyped everywhere, your best bet is too stay clear of anything related to commodities, I think there is a bubble that is ready to deflate somewhat in commodities, I mentioned it last week and will mention it again, this is not the time to be running to commodities, its most likely a time to sell and take any profits you have any. I think there is at least a 15-25% correction waiting to occur in every commodity sooner than later.

#14     Mar 9, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

Though declining real estate values is a deflationary force, we may not see its impact the way many of us "understand". The Fed appears to be on a mission to inflate enough to steamroll deflation and not let it take hold. Of course, such a "cure" is likely to be worse than the "deflation disease".

A deflation would be painful, but it would also be temporary. We'd recover. BIG inflation will eventually destroy us all.

#15     Mar 9, 2008
  6. ronblack

ronblack

You cannot have increases in the CPI and prolonged deflationary environment. I wonder why nobody spotted your contradiction. If inflation goes up this year it will stay high maybe beyond your 5 year target period.

The optimum action now is to raise rates by 0.25 bp otherwise the dollar will collapse and imported inflation will rise fast.

Unless the FED employer is not the American people but some Wall Street firm looking for liquidity injection.

Ron

#16     Mar 9, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

It was spotted... guess nobody wanted to embarrass OP.

And not only is the "Fed's employer NOT the US People", the Fed is the people's ENEMY!

#17     Mar 9, 2008
  8. BJL

BJL

long term government bonds

#18     Mar 9, 2008
  9. Specterx

Specterx

Why would you want to own gold, or any other asset, if prices are falling?

I would just keep money in the bank or in bonds. Look for interest rather than appreciation.

#19     Mar 9, 2008
  10. Trading anything....and not holding anything....

Is the new asset class....

#20     Mar 9, 2008