whats so great about bloomberg

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tradinpat, Aug 18, 2002.

1. nitro

nitro

Just subscribing to this thread.

BTW, does Bloomberg give the MOC imbalances? Does Reuters?

Bone, $1500 sound like a bargain to me - you'd be nuts NOT to subscribe to it.

nitro

#11     Aug 18, 2002
  2. Is it possible/under development/foreseeable to route futures orders thru Bloomberg networks, with an acceptible cost?
    I mean futures order routing.

IB states on its website "IB offers Extranet connections to Ixnet and Sawis". SAVVIS is the distribution network provider to Bridge.
    Technically it's feasible for Bloomberg.

Want to leverage the T1 line serving Bloomberg. Same situation for Reuters Terminal. The proprietary networks of Bloomberg and Reuters are far more reliable than Internet, especially when it's across the Pacific Ocean.

#12     Aug 19, 2002
  3. LouieR

LouieR

If you are trading from home, what kind of network connection do you need? Is that included in the monthly fee?

#13     Aug 19, 2002
  4. GregDavis

GregDavis RealTick Expert

RealTick is a great substitution for Bloomberg:

RealTick has the following features:
    - Realtime news from Dow Jones Broad Tape, Comtex, RealTimeTradersNews and theFlyontheWall.
    - Research from Zacks, MarketGuide and MarketGauge
    - Data on equities, options, futures, curriencies, fixed income
    - Very advanced charting with technical analysis, trend lines, multiple stock comparison, seasonal charts, chart algorithyms, etc.
    - Internal book data from all major ecn's
    - NYSE Openbook data
    - Globex Level II data
    - Direct Access Trading capability with access to all major markets and ecn's including BloomBerg TradeBook through selected broker/dealers.
    - And best of all, the software only costs $250 per month!

Bloomberg does have sports scores, horoscopes and very old-fashioned look if that is what you are into. Otherwise, I would seriously consider RealTick as a great alternative.

Get a free demo: http://www.realtick.com/demo

Have a great day!

#14     Aug 19, 2002
  5. Bone said

" I'm a home-based trader and I spend $1500 per month on a Bloomberg. I am nuts. I support my home and my family from trading. ""

Actually you have balls!!!!

:p

#15     Aug 19, 2002
  6. I've heard that they can sometimes give you a "trial" account (or a trial period) for 3 months or so.

can anyone verify?

#16     Sep 1, 2002
  7. mjt

mjt

They gave me a trial 2 years ago, but it was only for a week. I had to have the sales rep come out to my house.

#17     Sep 1, 2002
  8. Hendrix

Hendrix

Bloomberg will give you a free "trial" (for 1 month, I believe) if you are an existing user and you lose your job (very common in the current environment). This may be what you had heard.
    I am unaware of any free trial for new users---which doesn't mean that they don't do it.

#18     Sep 1, 2002
  9. Simba

Simba

"Buy and Hold trader", isn't that a condradiction?

:)

#19     Sep 2, 2002
  10. def

def Sponsor

Speaking of Bloomberg?

Just rec'd a letter:

Dear Valued Customer.....
    blah blah.....

In short, I assume most of you here would be single subscription members. The new single user fee will be $1700 per month. (They also will require a T1 connection).

#20     Sep 2, 2002