What's next???

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by FixedIncomeGuy, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Hey everyone, I am looking for some advice, opinions, suggestions, on how I can take my trading career to a new level.I'll give you some back ground on myself. I've been trading at a prop firm here in London for the last 2 years. I've been trading us treasuries and have been doing well, but I am looking to be in a situation that will allow me to trade larger size as well as have a longer time frame to trade. Right now I put on trades from anywheres to 30 to 50 contracts and depending if I am hedged or not I am able to hold overnight but never can it be a pure speculative trade. I graduated from the London School of Economics with a degree in banking and finance with a 2:1 degree. I know my education is nothing too special but would it be good enough to land a trading role actively trading at a IB or hedge fund? I should add that I am looking to make a move to the states, hopefully the NY, CT area. Thanks, any comments would be appreciated.

2. .

3. why not just trade at home?..it seems you know what you're doing.

4. I thought about that, but I am very social person and I like trading in a office with other people, don't think I would last too long trading by myself. And I don't have the capital to start trading on my own. My goal is to be in position to trade larger size and even though I would be able to employ any strategy I wanted (overnights etc.) I would be forced to trade only a few lots max, and to me that seems counterproductive for what I am trying to accomplish. Thank you for your comments tho.

5. I've never traded in an office (would like to try), but do you find it as a good experience over-all?.. Do you find that other peoples emotions influence your trades?

6. Over all the experience has been great. The guys who have been there for a while are more then happy to help out the new guys, when ever I have had a question they would always answer, if they discovered something new they would usually share it. When I first started I sat beside a trader who traded mainly the 2 and 10 yr UST and when ever he was having a bad day I would always find it difficult to enter into trades. I would think if he is having trouble today, I would get killed so I would sit there most of the day looking at my screen. But after a while you learn not to worry about what other guys are doing, and just try to focus on your own trading. I would really suggest getting into an office, it might not be for everyone but if you get in with a good group, you can't go wrong.
    Any other suggestions out there???

7. I have another question for someone out there. I was just doing some research on different trading floors in the NYC and CT area and I came across the UBS trading floor in CT, what I wanted to know is are those UBS traders or do they rent space out to hedge funds or professional traders? Looks like quite the place to work.

8. Just bumping this thread again, looking for some advice....c'mon guys someone has to give me something.