What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by playme4u2c2, Dec 8, 2003.

1. lindq

lindq

Let's see...4 pts a day for the past 5 months.

That was one trade, right?

Enter, July 1, 2003. Exit, December 1, 2003.

#11     Dec 9, 2003
  2. When I was a young and unknown flight dynamicist, I solve a world class problem in rigid body dynamics. When "A Spin Scale Theory For Rigid Body Dynamics" was published in the AIAA Journal, the only calls that I got back were from people telling me that it didn't work and I was a fraud.

Later, when my theory was well accepted and taught in at least two prestigious universities, the only calls I got back were people telling me that other individuals were trying to take credit for my discovery.

This thread smacks of the same kind of hate and envy that I experienced then.

If the system makes alot of real money its worth alot. Nothing else matters.

regards

#12     Dec 9, 2003
  3. Nereus

Nereus

Well put hoodoo.... envy is definitely a root to much flaming and useless posts here. Wouldnt it be great if we all supported each other in our common goal... to acheive success in trading at what ever level our individual goals are! :cool:

#13     Dec 9, 2003
  4. Nereus
    Thanks for your support. I believe that we would see many more valuable posts here on ET if every one adhered to the philosophy that you have espoused.
    Regards

#14     Dec 9, 2003
  5. tiocsti

tiocsti

You never know if a system will make money in the future, which is why a good deal of testing is necessary in order to determine the likelyhood of the current and recent past results persisting into the future. Asking that the system be tested to the rigors of some form of scientific process is not, in my view anyways, an indication of jealousy.

He could have the holy grail, or he could have a system overly fit to current market conditions that will fall apart if the market environment changes. I can't say which with any degree of certainty, since I don't have any facts about the system in question (nor do I want any, in particular).

#15     Dec 9, 2003
  6. HotSauce

HotSauce

Because of psychology and emotions, the real world never seems to come out quite the same as the backtest world. For that reason I would never pay anything for a strategy unless I saw some real world results.

#16     Dec 9, 2003
    VPhantom likes this.
  7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

What is equally as interesting is how all of you are getting your shorts all twisted in a knot over a system that may not even exist. Without data, there's nothing to discuss, yet you start sniping at each other.

A mystery :confused:

#17     Dec 9, 2003
  8. Nereus

Nereus

hoodoo... thnx :cool:

hotsauce... i agree whole heartedly... :cool:

#18     Dec 9, 2003

9. What's it worth? Well, if it is as good as you say it is, then perhaps it is worth trading. Good luck.

As an aside, you make no reference to drawdowns. Was that an oversight, or are they non-existent? Good luck with that, too.

#19     Dec 9, 2003
  10. Nereus

Nereus

Just commenting on the usefullness/uselessness of this forum in hopes that those who like to belittle others will keep their friggin keyboards to them self...:cool:

#20     Dec 9, 2003