What's it with the Wharton guys?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by pinetboltz, Sep 29, 2018.

1. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

Ok, just finished reading Billion Dollar Whale -- craziest thing is how the guy already made $100mm free and clear before he turned 30, and still he decides to get involved in some shady scheme that ends in him being pursued by the Interpol

But, no offense to Wharton grads, but what's it with all the financial scandals that seem to break out with alums of that school?

To list a few names that came up in the media/books,

Steve Cohen- SEC lawsuit (Black Edge)
    Michael Milken- indicted for racketeering (Predator's Ball)
    Raj Rajaratnam- implicated in insider trading (The Billionaire's Apprentice)
    Elon Musk- SEC lawsuit ("funding secured")
    Jho Low- 1MDB investigation (Billion Dollar Whale)

Is there something in the water over there, which turns ppl from Dr Jekyll to Mr Hyde?
    Or is it more like they select for ppl who have qualities of being Mr Hyde in the making?

themickey likes this.
  2. guru

guru

Are you trying to steal the spotlight from Harvard? :).
    http://jadeluckclub.com/top-10-from...famous-students-and-alums-invited-to-reunion/

Though this may apply to all schools and businesses:
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...l-author-says/ljRzQWY1s5EQKsnsjJqsYJ/amp.html
    “Citing a report from the Aspen Institute, McDonald explains that “when students enter business school, they believe that the purpose of a corporation is to produce goods and services for the benefit of society. When they graduate,” he continues, “they believe that it is to maximize shareholder value.”

And really. Is there any large corporation that isn’t cooking some books, shifting profits offshore, fighting someone, hiding something, lobbying/bribing government, or even doing anything differently than Elon Musk but maybe less sloppily?

Wharton alumni will be fine if they just take a course on how not to get caught...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  3. TraderEX

TraderEX

The qualities that gets them to the top legitimately, whisper to them, "You are too smart to get caught". Negative traits, greed, jealously... in humans do not discriminate. All levels of intelligence are corrupted by a percentage. It's a genetic thing. I am a retired RN with experience nursing the criminal population in a locked facility. Good topic.

4. destriero

destriero

Help me understand the pathology of TraderEX producing an alias named DeeGee, whose sole-purpose was to fluff your primary alias, TraderEX?

You don't consider that an illness? A scam?

Many thanks.

themickey and EsKiller like this.
  5. JSOP

JSOP

Donald Trump - POTUS, no problem here ;) And bth, I don't think Elon Musk did anything wrong.

6. Of course there is. First, compare the ethical values of the average student at UPenn vs Carnegie Mellon (used this uni as it compares well academically). It's a difference like night and day. Then think about how each uni chooses its student body. UPenn makes it very easy for privileges kids and rewards the elitist East Coast white shoe families. Unfortunately kids bred into such toxic environments of entitlements and upper stiff lip often display dysfunctional moral values. You don't have that at Carnegie Mellon or MIT. Donations don't get your kids an inch closer to admission. But hey, fortunately the Asian student body at UPenn balances things out.

Performance wise, I always was underwhelmed by students who underwent the UPenn MBA program. I can't say that at all of MIT grad school or Tepper students.