What's in your trading journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Jdesey, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Thanks. It's much more complex with multi leg options though because what I consider to be one "position" is the initial purchase plus any short against my long through the life of that. But brokers must show these as individual transactions for tax purposes, so I'm back to where I started. I've considered setting up a website for myself so I could use php and mySQL to manage it...but that's a lot of back-end programming, and then I have to write other code to do the spreadsheet functions I need...and this isn't part of my journal that has my narrative in it. Nor is it particularly more efficient than a spreadsheet with one symbol per sheet.

The problem is reconciling chronology with the positions in a sufficiently parsimonious way that it's useful, but also getting enough info for data analysis, while also keeping track of open positions...

#31     Aug 3, 2017
  2. In case someone takes this seriously, some of the world's most well-known men kept and keep journals.

#32     Aug 4, 2017
    Jdesey likes this.
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I have solved this specific problem. If you are interested I can tell you how I did it

#33     Aug 4, 2017
    beerntrading likes this.
  4. Jdesey

Jdesey

yup like Benjamin Franklin

#34     Aug 4, 2017
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

1) Heart rate, blood pressure (once 30mins before trading, once after a few trades, once within 30min after trading)

I use to compete in sports (international) as a youth. Its an old habit I've picked up but still find it useful to understand the physical changes from trading. Most trading days I feel that every trader should do this at the minimum.

2) Document all distractions if any (e.g. spouse entering office to talk about something, kids entering office to ask questions, FedEx delivery) including details

3) Document all breaks (timeout) from trading that includes the time you left the computer and time you returned (e.g. lunch, exercise, cutting the grass)

4) Name of specific strategy (useful info if you're using several different strategies).

5) Missed trades (time & price)

6) Any statistic metrics of your own or downloaded from a professional trade journal software.

7) Market Summary of the day copied from Bloomberg, Yahoo, Briefing and Morningstar

8) Anything that's personal but that you believe had an impact on your trading day (e.g. Not focus because you're thinking about one of your kids that's sick)

---------------

I keep a diary in combo with my trade journal. The diary includes everything occurring in my personal life...things not disclosed in the trade journal. I've had a diary since grade 7. I usually update my personal diary a few times per week.

If you've ever maintained a personal diary beyond a few years, a trade journal won't be difficult. Only time I didn't do such was during a serious illness (e.g. coma the fall of 2016/rehab early 2017) or injury (e.g. I broke my collarbone and sternum many years ago as a youth).

Thus, a trade journal for some can be a very private thing to do especially if it contains personal info about your life during the trading day.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    #35     Aug 4, 2017
    Jdesey likes this.
  6. themickey

themickey

I would find this too time consuming, not only the writing of but the time required to re-read the writings.
    Saying that, there is value I believe in writing notes which I do, and just mulling over my thoughts, perhaps there is more value to be found writing down and reviewing your own ideas rather than reading about someone else's.
    Interesting post you made.

#36     Aug 4, 2017
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I don't re-write the writings. Most is just copy/paste.

As for my diary, I'm sure you know how they are although I converted from a hand writing diary to a private online diary about 6 years ago that allows printing.

Yeah, I'm a fast typist. I had two years of typing class in high school. The last year of high school I had advance typing with my other classes...mainly college prep classes.

You may be thinking...what person takes typing in high school ? I did because my old man warned me when I go to college...I'll be writing a lot of research papers. Yeah, he was right and it was extremely helpful. :sneaky:

Heck, typing became somewhat of a business for me during the 4 years of college. I made about 2k per year typing papers for others. Got laid a lot too. You'll be surprise at how many girls needed something typed up in one night...priority before papers by others. :D

I don't re-read my diary unless needed. For example, last year when I came out of a 2 month coma...I had severe memory problems. My diary was extremely helpful in helping me with memory issues.

The trade journal has a different purpose than the diary. I'm not a big believer in numbers alone put out by the broker. I need more context behind those numbers and that's where the copy/paste comes into play involving info the broker can not give me.

Takes about 30 mins per day to maintain and I do a little maintaining during the trading day especially if I have something personal to do soon after the market close. It all seems a lot but I've become very efficient at doing it and I'm use to it (not time consuming) because as I mentioned...

I've been documenting my life since grade 7. Spending 30 mins per day is easy work.

P.S. A buddy of mine is a bodybuilder. His diary is much more complicated than mine. Foods, calories, fat, protein, minerals, exercise routine, blood pressure, heart rate, videos, photographs et cetera.

Everybody is different. Document whatever you need that helps you achieve your goals. It really doesn't matter what the other person is documenting.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    #37     Aug 4, 2017
    themickey likes this.
  8. Hooti

Hooti

Had a similar experience.
    Significant brain injury to the point I didn't know that I could trust my memories. Also, some things I knew what happened, but I couldn't put them in sequence. Fortunately, I have kept a diary since my 2nd year in college.

One day I sat down and "reloaded" my life. This was priceless.

According to the Brain Injury Association... if you live to be 50 years old you will have had a 50% chance of having a clinically treatable brain injury. Concussions, depression, etc.

Usually my personal diary is restricted to only 1 or 2 sentences per day. A brief statement of the most interesting thing I learned or a conversation or event, from that day. I kept it brief because I never wanted to reread long musings.
    In hindsight, keeping a diary like this changed my life because each day I am looking for something interesting to happen to record; something or someone worth noticing. What you look for you find...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    #38     Aug 5, 2017
    Sprout and wrbtrader like this.
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your prior problems and brain injury.

Yeah, soon after my release from rehab...I discover similar information that most people by the time they've reached 50 years old will have suffer brain injury known as TBI and not even know about it.

For example, hockey players, football players, soccer, boxers, concussions, motor vehicle accidents and illness. Most common symptoms of brain injury after head trauma is a disturbance of consciousness; some people remain awake, but others are confused, disoriented, or unconscious. Headache, nausea, and vomiting...

For some, these symptoms may not show up for many years. These types of delay or side effects are very difficult to treat or manage.

My memory issues lasted a few months after the coma/illness. Yet, during all the testing, rehab...I allowed my therapists access to my diary and trade journal for the customization tests. After each testing...I would remember more.

Oddly, I remember in grade 10, a very close friend thought it was a waste of time to keep a journal (diary). Now many years later...I'm glad I never listen to him because it was key to my quick recovery after the coma/illness.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    #39     Aug 5, 2017