what's good friday?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FRuiTY PeBBLe, Apr 18, 2003.

1. If that was more than just a rhetorical question, I think the answer is that it was put on there as a way to distinguish America from the (godless) communist movement that was allegedly threatening the world.

#21     Apr 20, 2003

2. Well, that might be so, but I think you'd still have to agree that it ("in God we trust") actually was quite an accurate representation of the way the vast majority felt (feel?), wasn't it?

In that case, it's hardly "shoving it" down anyone's throat.

#22     Apr 20, 2003
  3. I learned long ago that logic and politics have nothing in common. Follow the crowd, wear what everyone else wears and think like the majority and people will admire you. If you start to stray from the path of the sheep, you better have a way to back it up in the end or else you'll get trampled on by the mass of society.

That's why Martha Burks is getting trampled on right now -- a little too much too fast.

The United States government placed the words "In God we Trust" on U.S. currency because the administration at that time wanted to seperate itself from the atheist society of the Soviet Union.

It is very offensive to many -- including orthodox Christians and Jews. Jews don't even write the word god (they write g-d). To have God plastered all over a fiat currency is, in a bizaare sort of way, really far off from the beaten path of respecting religion.

#23     Apr 20, 2003
  4. I learned long ago that logic and politics have nothing in common. Follow the crowd, wear what everyone else wears and think like the majority and people will admire you. If you start to stray from the path of the sheep, you better have a way to back it up in the end or else you'll get trampled on by the mass of society.

Fair enough. But the point is ?

The United States government placed the words "In God we Trust" on U.S. currency because the administration at that time wanted to seperate itself from the atheist society of the Soviet Union.

Er, didn't I already say that just two posts ago?

It is very offensive to many -- including orthodox Christians and Jews. Jews don't even write the word god (they write g-d). To have God plastered all over a fiat currency is, in a bizaare sort of way, really far off from the beaten path of respecting religion.

Ok. I never said that there wasn't some that find it offensive. ( But Orthodox Christians? -- :confused: ) It's also offensive to atheists, Hindus (I imagine) and anyone else that doesn't believe in that "God".

I don't know what your point is about "respecting religion", I don't think I ever said anywhere that the goal of printing In God We Trust was "respecting religion". My only point was that "right" or "wrong", or for whatever reason it was done, printing it was in fact quite representative of the vast majority of the population's opinion. (Interesting that you specify "fiat" currency -- I take it you would've have minded if it had been "plastered" all over gold coins? :D)

#24     Apr 20, 2003
  5. It may be a far stretch, but the term "fiat currency" represents something that is not backed by an underlying commodity such as gold. To print, "In God we Trust" suggests two possible things:

1) We are placing our faith in our currency's worthiness on the underlying omnipotent and benevolent nature of god.

2) We are equating the existence of god to something that is not grounded by a deeper commodity -- or, we are placing god, the creator of the universe, on a piece of paper that represents nothing more than what the paper is worth in and of itself.

By the very nature of having that phrase on U.S. currency, it must be there to combine some nature of god's divine preference with the continued health of our economic system. Otherwise, it is of no usefulness to print the phrase at all. "In God we Trust" suggests that we are placing the welfare of our society in his hands.

I don't agree with your assertion that printing the phrase "In God we Trust" is representative of the mast majority of the population's opinion. Are you suggesting that a majority of people believe in the same god within the United States? Even still, are you suggesting that a majority of orthodox Christians would condone having this on a dollar bill, which could be construed as a blantant violation of the second commandment:

"You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I The Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate Me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love Me and keep My Commandments."

Have you looked at the back of a dollar bill lately? Take a hard look at it and you'll begin to really see some very deep things about our society (if you live in the United States at least).

#25     Apr 20, 2003
  6. Instead of "In God We Trust", how about:

"It's Money"

"Use It Or Lose It"

"Wash Your Hands"

"A Fool And Me Are Soon Parted"

"Here Today Gone Tomorrow"

"Shop Around"

"Easy Come Easy Go"

"Can't Buy Me Love"

#26     Apr 20, 2003